Message 00083 [Homepage] [Navigation]

[jox] Re: Peer Review [Was: RE: Review process

Mathieu O'Neil wrote:

Now, this is a complex issue. For example, I have published very few
articles in peer-reviewed journals. Pretty close to zero. I am working on
two papers right now. They are important to me, the result of several years
of thinking. I know I could (perhaps should) do the noble thing and send one
or both to an Internet-based journal. But deep down I feel that I would like
the validation that only an established journal can give. When I have
published one or two papers like that - showing that I can do it - then I
would submit to open-access journals. I think a lot of emerging academics
think like that - or they can't afford not to think like that if they want
to get a job in this super-competitive environment. I have a job, so I am
more motivated by professional pride. I am trying to be honest as possible
to advance the discussion. What does this mean for CSPP?

In a nutshelll: we need some incentives for people to publish with us.
Here are some random thoughts.

1- We could encourage people to submit papers that have already been
published in a closed journal - that way they would reach a new audience and
get more feedback.

I don't think this is a good idea, for several reasons:
- It sets the bar so low it is self-destructive, in that people just
send us copies of things they wrote for another audience with no thought
of fitting in with our distinctive journal.
- It removes pressure on the closed journal to become more open
- It is in any case unlikely to be allowed by the contractual conditions
the academic has entered into with the closed journal

I think we should have the opposite policy: no article published in a
closed journal may be published by us. This is nothing like as radical
as it sounds, and will just reproduce existing practice (not desireable,
but practical for now): people will take one of their existing papers
which they have published in a prestigious publication and modify it. We
will accept such modified versions. It's a silly game, but it's what new
academics do: boost their number of publications by replicating their
best work with only minor variations in journals that aren't too proud
to accept such things. New journals use this phenomenon to bootstrap
themselves into existence.

To encourage this, I think our CFPs should have a general statement of
what is relevant, but be based on themed issues (I've been looking back
through the 'draft CFP' thread but can't actually see the draft CFP - so
apologies if I'm just repeating what's been said). Someone who has (for
example) just done a lot of research on 'open access' and sees we have a
 CFP for an 'open access' issue is likely to think how they could fit
their work into a peer production context; if they just see a journal
about 'peer production' it may not occur to them.

Graham
(still thinking about the review process but with nothing useful to add
yet :-(

2- For this we need good reviewers and good comments. There could be a
system where open discussion on a list leads to editorial comments being
appended to papers. Not sure. I don’t think we should rely on "anyone can
comment" to do this job - no-one may comment or comments may be mediocre.

3- There needs to be some clear guidelins for an open comment process:
-- closed editorial list / closed registration process?
-- deadlines for comments to be made?

4- It is clear that different review processes could be useful. We need to
define precisely the different review processes: blind or not, open or not,
etc.

5- The second part of the paper cited above may have some interesting
leads...

6- In conclusion: we eventually need to get some more people on the
editorial board to help advance how the review process works. We will need
some input from the people we will be approaching to work with us. So we
need to progress the rest of the "charter" so we can start approaching
people.

Cheers,
Mathieu