Message 00201 [Homepage] [Navigation]

[jox] Alternative proposal for peer review

[Converted from text/html]

Hi all

OK, well there is obviously some serious opposition to the expert
rating system (sorry Brian!). At the same time no-one seems to have a
problem with reader ratings... ?

Anyway, I have tried to come up with a new proposal based on the paper
by Tony Prug posted by Johann. I have modified his system a bit for
two main reasons: first, in order to tighten and quicken the process.
Second, to find a balance between openness and the risk of outsiders
inappropriately using material before it has been officially released
or rejected.

=-=-=-=

Prospective authors submit a proposal to the list.

All list members vet this proposal during a reasonable period of time
(1-2 weeks?): is it appropriate for the journal, are there missing
arguments or references?

Authors write their submission.

Authors submit to the journal. The editor posts their submission to a
password-protected part of the website for reference and alerts the
list that he has done so.

The editor designates two expert reviewers (submissions welcome).

The two expert reviewers read and evaluate the submission during a
reasonable period of time (3-4 weeks?).

Reviewers post their reviews and recommendations to a password-
protected part of site and alert the list that they have done so.

The list discusses this during a reasonable period of time (1-
2 weeks?).

During this time consensus emerges: publish, revise and resubmit (to
two other reviewers, for example?) or reject, or

During this time consensus does not emerge: the decision then moves to
a formal vote on the Governance Board: publish, revise and resubmit
(to two other reviewers, for example) or reject.

Submission published.

Readers can comment [and rate?].

Authors can respond in comments section [and add links in the text to
relevant comments and responses? No updating of text though].

=-=-=-=

Voila!

As mentioned before I will be on the move from Thursday 10 until the
end of the month.

Cheers,

Mathieu

--