From: Toni Prug <tony irational.org>
Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:07 am
Subject: Re: [jox] Cutting the Knot
To: journal oekonux.org

Hi all,

given the length, here's the summary:

i support StefaMn proposal for authors choosing the qualifying
model (binary/ratings)

i extend it with the choices of _early screening_ and peer
reviewing models (both open/closed choices).

However, i'm not convinced _rating_ is the most suitable name
for signaling the attributes of an article.

i also support use of Plone over email list.

Journal Commons is a new project working on providing advanced
tools and organizational techniques for cooperation in knowledge
production - we're using Plone, working closely with two
journals (in private for now), i will inform the list of our
milestones in coming months.

yours,
toni

-------

my firm belief is that academic journals should facilitate,
assist and improve the production and spread/distribution of new
knowledge. Journals do not produce new knowledge. Authors do.
This, in my experience, is lost on almost all journals i learned
about so far.

Instead, there's rigidity on the side of journals, dictating to
authors a set of rules which, given our level of technological
development, make little sense today. At the same time, i
believe to a large extent because of the opaqueness of peer
reviewing system, authors are not being helpful to journal
editors either: they regularly send articles with vast
deficiencies in quality of argument, novelty, or simply required
formatting, which rightly drives editorial boards mad and adds
to their workload by what it is often seen as lack of respect on
the side of authors.

I think that two moves could help to reduce tensions on both
sides and improve the production: journals should be more
accommodating/open to the needs of authors, simultaneously with
being more strict in social pressures on authors to observe
these new, more flexible, and more appropriate to our times, set
of rules.

StefanMn then proposed a choice where authors submitting a
proposal could
indicate whether they want a binary model (publish or reject)
or a
multi-dimensional rating system:
[See http://www.oekonux.org/journal/list/archive/msg00212.html]

I like this proposal. I see it as a desirable increases in
flexibility on the side of journal, which authors, i believe,
will appreciate. As to readers, i don't see the problem with
some articles being rated, and others not. There could be an
icon always displayed next to the article, indicating it is a
rated article. I expect that as the time goes, more authors will
choose ratings, since they will figure out that it gives them
more chance of being published (with problems that article might
have noted by the ratings), rather then rely on the binary
publish/reject decision.

My view is that binary model is terrible, unscientific, and
antagonistic for entirely wrong reasons (i'm a big supporter of
antagonism as method, when suitable) and should be gradually
replaced. However, new models should not be imposed, but rather
offered as alternatives that are monitored, evaluated and
improved. We have had too many centuries of binary model to
displace it over night, and authors would rightly be skeptical
of such move without seeing the benefit of it first in practice.

Hence, i think that StefanMn proposal is an excellent way to win
over authors in favor of new systems, in a way which gives them
the chance to both choose and observe how the new models work. I
much prefer this approach, than having only new systems
(ratings, open-process, or otherwise), because i see how it
would enable us to win authors over and to demonstrate that we
are not claiming that we definitely know what is right and what
is wrong. This, position of 'we know best for sure' is the
attitude of almost all the journals i interacted with (perhaps i
was unlucky, but it seems a pattern), and no wonder authors send
all kind of junk - they see journals as arrogant, uncooperative
and self-serving gatekeepers to their career advance (i've sent
my first ever journal article submission, one on the open
process in academic publishing recently to a journal i.e. this
is not entirely my own experience, but what i observed from
years of being surrounded by academic friends and colleagues +
the interactions i had with several journals in the past year).
Pushed by the publish-or-perish evaluating model, by the
academic rewards model in general, and by the arrogance and
uncooperativeness of journals, authors do often behave badly.
But it comes partially, perhaps largely, out of desperation.

We can improve this relation a lot by these new models.The
result, i hope (convinced by the arguments and analysis), will
be a far better mutual respect and relationship authors-journal-
readers and it's fitting for a peer production journal to be
self-reflective and hence the innovator in own field of
production. The general spirit of the two papers referenced
(Reinventing academic publishing online + Open Process) is for
me the spirit of peer production, of less centralized, yet more
structured and more beneficially (for all sides) organized
systems - in the context and sphere of knowledge production.

Second, if we want to open up the journal selection process and
provide rewards to those who do
normally invisible work (i.e. reviewers), in line with Toni Prug's
proposal [2] for a community peer review system (through a list
where proposals are
vetted and reviews are released), then by definition we are rejecting
the publish / don't publish model: vetting and orientation occur
upstream, even before an actual full submission.

Indeed. The open process model relies on discovering, and fixing
when possible, problems in the early stage, when the cost of
doing so is low  on both sides (authors,
editors/reviewers). However, in humanities and social sciences,
it is often the case that the quality and novelty of the
contribution cannot be seen until the whole argument is
developed into a longer, more fined grained piece i.e. the
details are sometimes all that matters in a piece, and we cannot
see it in an early stage. Situation seems even worse for natural
sciences, where months, or years, of lab experimental work might
not results into a single publishable paper nor new findings (i
was told). Yet, it is funders, or heads of research centres, who
still make a judgment on the plausibility of the project before
it starts, hence acting as a form of early peer review. We can
try to act in a similar way, judging the plausibility of a short
proposal being developed in something we consider worthy of
being publishable. Also, many ideas are visibly worthy of
developing in their early stage, within the first thousand
words, as a rough proposal.

In short, there are issues with the open process as well, but i
also do not see it as a binary either/or. I would like to see us
offering to authors the options to choose between open/closed twice:

a) EARLY SCREENING: authors choose whether to submit proposal
(let's say up to 1000 words) for a paper; they can do so either
in an open OR closed way i.e.their proposals, our comments,
their comments back, and our decision (either Yes, please
develop and submit; OR No, we don't think it's for this journal)
are either visible, or not, publicly, depending on what authors
choose.
b) REVIEWING: use open OR closed peer reviewing for full length
articles i.e. authors do not have to go through a) at all, they
simply follow the traditional model and submit full paper,
choosing for peer reviewing to be open or closed.

(c) special cases: There are several possible complications in
which the journal will have to make decision. One example is
that a series of peer reviewers approached can refuse to peer
review the article if their name is used, since they might be
intimidated by the importance of the author, or for some other
reason. In that case, the journal might approach the author and
insist that peer reviews must be done without peer reviewers
names used. There are other possible twists and resolutions,
we'll learn as we do it.

Later, we could move to a more refined set of early screening
and peer reviewing workflows (where some aspect might be open to
some groups at some stage in the process, and not in other
stages) as we all learn by practices what works well, what not,
and how to develop it further.

In order to protect the
reputation of the journal, we need to alert readers that we are aware
of flaws, but that _we decided to publish anyway_. Hence the
need to
“qualify” or “signal” (rather than “rate”) published
submissions.

Yes, i agree, very well put. I'm not convinced _rating_ is the
best term for what we're intending to do either, although i like
the procedure and support it. Qualify or signal seem clumsy,
though not entirely unusable substitutes. When we say that a
paper has been rated, it is intuitive. Not so when we say it has
been signaled, or qualified. I'm undecided. Any other ideas how
to name this?

So, this is the first point to decide: what categories do we have?

i have to think about this separately.

4-decision: review discussion system

+ email OR web platform for reviewing - the shades of openness

I love email lists, and i find it hard to accept more complex
web tools for collaboration,  since, as a rule with rare
exceptions, i find them less, not more helpful as
tools/environments to assist and change work positively.
However, i was recently given an introduction to Plone, and i
was won over by it. Excuse me for the technical language for a
moment: it seems to me that worklows, transitions and fine
grained access for groups, including the acquisition mechanism
[1], will lend themselves well to variety of degrees of openness
and structures of workflows for peer reviewing. Even more so, if
each Folder, or Collection object (which contain other objects
i.e submitted documents) can have RSS feeds to which we can
subscribe too, including a unified feed - this is likely to be
not so diffifult to add, even if it currently does not exist in
the Plone and its plugins (call products in Plone). For example,
see this product,
http://plone.org/products/collective.watcherlist which enables
any object within Plone (documents, folder, etc - if i'm not
mistaken) to be watched, so that watchers automatically receive
emails on any change in the observed object.

For the two of the projects i'm working on with two other
journals, we decided to use Plone. We're now working on building
worklfows to present it to academics involved in those projects.

I would therefore recommend using Plone (and not just any other
web tool), and not an email list, with one important note: to
increases the chances of Plone academic users being satisfied
with it as a helpful platform, we must keep things simple to
start with i.e we must not alienate early users with complex
workflows and procedures.

Complexity can be added once the initial usage picks up and once
the usual resistance (i have plenty of it too) to new systems is
overcome through the satisfaction with the benefits that the
platform brings to its users.

When we're done with the projects i'm currently working on, we
will share workflows and all the information on our Plone setup,
use, and comments we got from academic communities we're working
within. So far, journals and communities expressed the wish to
do this development process in private, until they reach the
decision on whether to use the new models we are presenting -
this should be within the next month or two.

Finally, Juan Grigera (who is working with me on this) and
i decided the create a project out of this, we named it Journal
Commons. We will launch it once the proposals we're working on
are decided on. We aim to support journals to implement new
processes of cooperation, using advanced web tools and
organizational techniques. Given the number of technically
skilled people here, and the use of Plone, we have a basis for a
potential close cooperation on the Journal Commons as a separate
project. We'll keep the list informed with major project
milestones in the coming months.

--------

[1] 'Acquisition allows behavior to be distributed
hierarchically throughout the system [...] you can change an
object’s behavior by changing where it is located in the object
hierarchy.' http://docs.zope.org/zope2/zope2book/Acquisition.html

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University
email: mathieu.oneil[at]anu.edu.au
web: http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/visitors/mathieu.php