From: Mathieu ONeil <mathieu.oneil anu.edu.au>
Date: Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:16 pm
Subject: Re: [jox] Signals _and_ Accept/Reject
To: journal oekonux.org

[Brian Whitworth's response was killed by the spam filter, I
think because he sent it from an unregistered address, "taboo
header"? - reposting below, M]

[BW sez:]

Yes, actual control is only needed for heedless donkeys, and
even they
get warning signals before. This is how the world works. If I
look back
at seriously bad things that happened to me, I see that the
world
actually gave me several warnings not to do that (which I
ignored). So
in an adult setting everything should be signals, from people
and from
the community. Only if community signals fail does"security"
need to be
called. In scientific knowledge exchange, honest feedback from
others is
critical to growth. If it is done democratically and
transparently, the
result will be better than letting an elite few control what is
"good",
which can begin well but always soon decays. One has to trust
that
people will be both honest and kind in their contributions, but
there is
no escaping evaluation. No community can afford to give its
citizens a
free lunch, because it doesnt itself get one from the physical
world
around it. How a community rates a product, by "expert" reviewer
representatives or by "market" general vote, is absolute. If it
always
gets it wrong, it will fail regardless. The important thing is
that
everyone is free to contribute, so a community acts how it
really is.
Power "warps" a community. Communities should always give choice
their members because the world always gives choice to us.
Giving and
receiving signals is critical to making right choices.
all the best  in this endeavor
Brian

[Uh, he seems to be saying that signals are good, which most
agree on, but as to the question of whether having unsignaled
papers will muck up the system, we have to read between the
lines... anyone feel like tea-gazing? ;-)]