Message 00421 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] 2010 Christmas Memo

Hi Matthieu

Nice job on the website: both presentable and comprehensible :-)

Sorray about the formatting below; my thunderbird is struggling to
digest Mathieu's (openoffice?) output..

On 12/16/10 10:31, Mathieu ONeil wrote:
  1_2 Submissions
  -StefanMn and StefanMz's submission is ongoing, but I have not heard from the authors as to how they wish to approach the three reviewer's recommendations.
-Graham Seaman was interested in submitting something but has not done so yet.

It's on the topic of the four freedoms of software and the five laws of
library science, as being a distinctive new type of human right, linked
to the old ones, but solidary rather than individual.

I did write something but wasn't happy with it, and wanted a bit of
editorial input, so I showed it to non-oekonux acquaintances. The
response was that it was too long, too unstructured, and didn't have a
clear target audience - all of which I agreed with - so I started to
pull it into 2 separate essays, one of which overlaps a little with
Gabriella's work so probably makes more sense here, but will take longer.

If anyone would be prepared to give me editorial suggestions I'd be
happy to send them the original, on the understanding it's not for
publishing because it's too rambling. But working on someone else's
ramblings is probably not anyone's idea of fun ;-)

OK, now off-topic (and maybe should be copied/moved to the oekonux list/)

  ps. Like many of you I suppose I have been following the efforts to shut down Wikileaks and the response of
the (mainly Western) “free Internet”.

Do you have any evidence for this 'mainly western' free internet? Are
you counterposing China to the rest, or... There is certainly a response
from both India and South America, including active involvement in
ensuring the survival of the main files. The Bolivian government has a
wikileaks mirror up too; if anything I'd see this as one of the most
globally unifying struggles yet, Li Xaobo and Assange being mentioned in
the same contexts.

When added to the ever-spreading Facebook identity-authentication tentacles, these control efforts
raise some serious concerns about the direction of the network...

My hosting provider instructed me to close my mirror on grounds of the
commercial problems that would be caused by a DDOS attack (there is an
ongoing rotating DDOS-attack on all listed mirrors, but not that highly
powered). It's now back up on sufferance, but clearly won't last against
the slightest pressure. It struck me that one place that mirrors would
be less vulnerable to this combined commercial/political pressure would
be universities: especially any university teaching courses related to
academic freedom, human rights, etc. Has that happened?

 I agree with the conclusion of http://cryptome.org/0003/wikileaks-six.htm which is
also reframed by
http://www.hastac.org/blogs/nknouf/wikileaks-broadcast-internet-and-importance-new-media-assemblages
 Of course, apart from agreeing in principle that more attention needs to be paid to
safeguarding the physical infrastructure, I dont have any precise or
concrete ideas as to what
should be done, and I can only appeal to others' suggestions or refer to
the ongoing discussion
on “alternative email infrastructure” on the P2P foundation
list...
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2010-December/subject.html

What about the suggestions for an alternate/parallel DNS system?
eg  http://www.itworld.com/legal/129947/net-censorship-dns-alternative
but discussions popping up everywhere. Hysterical/impossible
overreaction, or an achievable goal?

Graham

Message 00421 [Homepage] [Navigation]