Message 00640 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: Timetable (was: Re: [jox] Free Software Special Issue)

mathieu, you're very optimistic :)

first of all, july 31 to early october means slightly more than one month - i dont think people will work in august, but i'm italian, i got a bias here :)
so i would give them one more month

second, in my experience it is almost impossible to get the referees' reports in one month. usually it takes 2 to 6 months to: find the reviewer. convince her/him. ask for another person. convince her/him... ask her/him for the review. remind. remind again. change the deadline. write her/him again. switch to another reviewer... and so on and so forth :)

i mean, we MIGHT make it for december, and we can certainly try, but i wouldn't bet on having everything in time...

ciao

Hi all

If Maurizio and Vincenzo's issue will be ready in May for a June 2012 release that raises the question of the content of the next issue, December 2011.

Alessandro: You recently wrote to me that your and Johan's issue on biohacking could not be made ready for a December release. I was meaning to get back to you on that point so I'll take this oppportunity.

Your deadline for submission is July 31.
Say two months to complete papers: Early October.
One month for review: early November.
One month for revision and signaling: Early December. It's tight, but doable.

Alternatively would be December 2012... Or negotiate with Maurizio and Vincenzo for the June 2012 spot. Then we have the problem of no content for the next issue. IMHO, for the good of the project, it would be best to aim for December... What do you and Johan say?

cheers,
Mathieu

ps. For the "debate" section my view is the issue of "which licence best spreads the commons / free software" has the potential to be all at once useful and vigorous, if participants can lose the aggro. pps. Have not read the below call in detail but I note that they want to invite "anti-hacker" D. Golumbia which is a gutsy move but isn't this also a question of definition (ie, different conceptions of what is a hacker - criminal or not etc) as discussed extensively on the AOIR list and here? Just my 2 cents.