From: Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de>
Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:37 pm
Subject: Re: Fwd: [jox-tech] Re: Layout
To: journal-tech oekonux.org

Hi Mathieu!

I reply through the list since I think there are more knowledgeable
people.

Yesterday Mathieu ONeil wrote:
Here is an attempt for the title, in two formats; hope it
works out. I can't
cut it into a rectangle / right format with the software I
have here (open
office), let me know if you cannot do it either, i will try to
transfer it to
a different system.

The format was fine - especially since the OpenOffice format you chose
is vector based and as such can be scaled arbitrarily.

However, for the website we need a pixel image. These are the
steps I
took:

1. Export the OpenOffice graphic to PDF

2. Import the PDF into Gimp

   This is where I scaled it to a size of 651x149
pixels. 650 pixels
   is fine for the free space in the Mimbo layout.
This is
   also the point where Gimp anti-aliases.

What is missing is transparency. I didn't manage to make transparency
From the anti-aliased pixels :-( . In Gimp it is easy to
transform a
single color to transparency. But that doesn't suffer. This doesn't
matter much at the moment since we have white background. But this
should be fixed. For this I added a couple of relevant files and I
hope there is someone here who can add transparency the right way.

In any case the result is quite ok IMHO. I put it to the website.

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University
email: mathieu.oneil[at]anu.edu.au
web: http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/visitors/mathieu.php