[ox-en] philosophical values

on Thu 3 May 2001 10:55:50 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] <xdrudis tinet.org> wrote:

............... It can also help because in order to explain the advantages
of free software you need to resort to philosophical values (otherwise
you'd end up explaining open source), and the root of the inmoralilty
widespread in bussiness is lack of philosophical values. But free
software is not the panacea, and the real problem is consumer
information and attitude, the abuses of corporations on individuals,
the laws that allow that, the fear of philosophy that abound and cause
people not to question the law. Wow!. I should quit programming and
take on politics, or found a sect, or something :)!. ...........

Hi Xavier, all,

I am new to the list and I am very interested in the phenomenon of
free software movements, I am not a programmer but a organizational
psychologist with interest in philosophy. I completely agree with your
observation that "lack of philosophical values is widespread in bussiness"
(and the rest of society imo), but I also believe that there is a lot of
folklore posing as "serious analysis" on philosophical matters of that
kind.

a simple question to begin with: "in what sense could we say that
developing and distributing free software is, or ought to be, based
on certain philosophical values and what are these philosophical
values then ?"

viva vista,
Jan

"If any point of view is as good as any other, then why isn't the point
of view that relativism is false as good as any other?" [Hillary Putnam]