Re: [ox-en] Does the GPL imply exchange?

Just a short point:

Kermit wrote

I disagree.  I think that's exactly what Stallman and the GPL are saying.
Anyone who uses GPLed code in her own program (which makes it a derivative
work under copyright law, according to Stallman) must, under force of law,
release that program under the GPL and therefore make it freely available to
anybody.  Even if she doesn't want to.  And that's the basis for Stallman's
claim that using copyleft is not only idealistic, but also pragmatic.  Read
the example he gives.  Because we published a free C compiler, he writes, we
got a free C++ compiler.  "The benefit to our community is evident."  That's
an appeal to a bidirectional flow, isn't it?

That is true only in the case, where you want to distribute the
program. Then you are forced to publish the code.
If you choose to use the derived work for you own, you don't have to.
In this sense the GPL prevents someone to force some other to exchange something just to have a copy of the program.

There is one possible work arround: You may take money for
doing something with a program derived from GPL sources (for example
selling web services).

Greetings, Thomas