Re: [ox-en] word social forum/stallman/patents

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Benni Baermann wrote:

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:25:09AM -0500, Graham Seaman wrote:
Is 'entfaltung' used by Adorno?

Yes. 221 times. And 3 times "Selbstentfaltung" but in another context
than the word is used by oekonux.

Either you have an electronic copy, or a lot of patience :-)
I haven't found any similar uses of 'unfolding' either. Erich
Fromm uses 'unfolding' in a different meaning (in fact, one which fits
the impression which made me unhappy with this word to begin with -
his meaning assumes a pre-given human essence which simply has to
'unfold').
The closest I've found is Paulo Freire, who uses a completely different
word but with the same meaning as Oekonux: he calls it 'Ser Mais'
(to Be More - his capitals. I don't like a word you have to give capitals
to, to show it means something different from the usual meaning either).
He uses it, like Oekonux, to mean something that is individual but can
only happen in a social context (maybe I'm not  expressing that very well,
but I am sure he means the same thing). However, it is in a different
context (education/learning), and he draws radically different conclusions
from it, in a political sense in particular.

Graham