RE: [ox-en] peruvian law

On Wed, 1 May 2002 paul.7.saunders bt.com wrote:

But it would be nice for Mr Blair et al to pass such a bill.

  Don't assume that they won't pass such bills.

  Canada, USA and Mexico passed a bill that said that you can't substitute
a brand name for a technical specification.  This is extremely pro Open
Systems.   The problem isn't the passage of laws, but which (often
conflicting) laws actually get enforced.

  I helped take the Canadian government to Court twice on trade law
violations for specifying Microsoft-only.  We won both cases, but in both
cases the government department just pulled their procurement from the
open procurement process.

http://www.flora.org/competition/citt/

---
 See http://weblog.flora.ca/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 Want to retain copyright? Author Free Software!