Re: [ox-en] Unions?

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Stefan Meretz wrote:

There was a mail from feb, 1st:
http://www.oekonux.org/list-en/archive/msg00328.html
pointing to
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/1/29/213759/812

Thanks for the pointers!

  The kuro5hin responses are interesting.  It does show some of the
animosity felt towards Unions.  I know I have felt it myself because I
have felt most Unions are too tied to Industrial thinking, and I invest
much of my time promoting post-Industrial alternatives.

  It is not simply a matter of the Free Software community helping Unions
understand Free Software and the benefits to Unions of this movement, but
I do believe the labour movement has a roll with getting involved in Free
Software towards proving that they aren't "past their prime".

  I was also a bit embarassed by the programmers that replied who don't
seem to understand the basics of software economics.  Missing was even the
statistic often used that 95% of code is still written in house, and that
OpenSource/Free Software and Software manufacturing are discussing the
other 5% that is distributed/shared software, and whether software
manufacturers are granted control over over the 95%.

  I haven't added in my notes from the session yet, but my slides from
last Friday's presentation are up at:
  http://www.flora.ca/ict-20020510/

  This was with the ICT branch of Industry Canada, and it went extremely
well.  These are smart folks, and I believe that the "get it" when it
comes to the issues much more than a majority of the replies I saw to that
article.

  I hope to see more on this topic as I would like to do a presentation
oriented towards specific Unions to discuss how their mandate is simply
not served by buying-into the "software manufacturing" methods and/or
tools.  All the commentary they have had about "management" over the years
appears to apply more to third-party "Software Manufacturing" companies
than it does to their own management.

---
 See http://weblog.flora.ca/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 Want to retain copyright? Author Free Software!
 More on Peruvian free software bill     /    1841 Copyright speech