Re: [ox-en] open standards

Hi StefanMz and all!

Last week (13 days ago) Stefan Meretz wrote:
Am Freitag, 10. Mai 2002 11:11 schrieb Graham Seaman:
Bruce Perens is trying to put together a definition of 'Open Standards'
to complement the definitions for software.
Sounds like a Good Thing (tm) to me... :-)

http://perens.com/OpenStandards/

Most interesting seem to me:
"Patents embedded in standards must be licensed royalty-free, with
non-discriminatory terms."
This will be the first rule to be kicked in ongoing discussion, I guess,
because he wants to catch producers of proprietary software for that
OpenStandard.

I agree, that the intention of the rule is indeed clear: To get
agreement with patent holders.

However, what is actually the bad thing about such a patent? Isn't the
meaning of such a patent more or less reduced to a enforced need to
name the originator of the idea? I'm really wondering.