Furthering respect to intellectual property rights (was: [ox-en] "Open Source Solutions Showcase" Week : May 27-31, 2002 (fwd))

Hi Russell and all!

Yesterday Russell McOrmond wrote:
   "Open Source Solutions Showcase" Week
   May 27-31, 2002

Very interesting - especially I'd visit the business people telling
why they like Free Software - if I would be closer to Ottawa ;-) .

     * Promote respect for intellectual property law, because civil servants
       can rely on legal off-the-shelf open source software to open and work
       with files that they receive in proprietary formats.

This I find an particularly interesting point because is is - as far
as I have seen yet - never brought up in German discussions, but at
some regular basis in North American ones. I remember Robert
Chassell(?) from the FSF mentioned exactly that point in a talk he did
in Braunschweig: Free Software helps (young) people to stay legal.

I guess in Germany no one would officially admit, they are using
pirate copies...