Re: [ox-en] writings on the problems of standardisation of Open Source software ?

Hi

On Friday, 31. May 2002 05:25, joy wrote:
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 04:05:47AM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Zeljko Blace wrote:
Does anyone know a good essay/txt on the subject of
non-standar/toomany standards development in OpenSource?

<fl>www.microsoft.com ;o)</fl>

OK, seriously, there are some issues that are a horror for a
newbee, especially

 * to compile the kernel yourself (I have to do that on my new
   laptop -- argh!) However, this is a problem of non-standard
   hardware, not software!

 * to install the system (but that is also not a question of
   standards)

Actually, free software is known for following standards. Are
there any examples where it does not?

about copy-and-past:
there is 'good' crossplatform copy-and-paste in linux since
the beginning of linux or the beginning of x i guess. just
use: left mouse-button to mark, middle mouse-button to paste
:) it works with almost all x-applications

There is also a newer standard (used by Gnome and KDE3), using
Cut/Copy/Paste menus (like Windows and Macintosh apps have), and
a separate buffer. However, there is no incompatibility
involved, because all programs I know also offer the way you
described above.

The only incompatibility I am aware of is the one between KDE
(version < 3) and Gnome when a user uses the Cut/Copy/Paste
menus, exclusively.

Have a look at www.freedesktop.org which tries to standardize
things.

BTW: Meanwhile, Drag and Drop works perfectly between KDE apps
(e.g. Konqueror), Gnome apps (e.g. gmc) and others (e.g. icewm).

cu,
Thomas
 }:o{#