Re: [ox-en] E-Mexico favours Windows over Linux

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Graham Seaman wrote:

'reputation and resource' == ability to bribe? ;-(

  This lack of TCO analysis is quite common.  There is this weird idea
that if a "donation" of software is made - even in the unusual case where
it brings the initial license cost to zero, that this represents some
"savings" over what Free Software can offer.   I've never understood the
funky-math required to come to those conclusions.

  I don't know that it is really a matter of corruption - but an inability
to do math.  I've run into this in situations with many NGO's, one of
which receives money from the "Bill and Melinda Gates foundation" where
more money than the donation is wasted in Microsoft licenses, and yet they
are extremely thankful to the foundation.  Had they just dropped Microsoft
products and accepted the foundation money anyway, they would be so much
further ahead

But I've never seen any evidence or heard anything direct from the people
involved to know if this is any more than gossip. Have you heard anything
more?

  All the links to the websites that existed when the Mexican/Educational
move was launched don't exist any more.  I have searched a few times, and
found nothing.

If it is true, then people have definitely learnt from that experience
(eg http://www.linex.org/ , the Extremadura schools project), and
Microsoft have lost that particular leverage. But if it
isn't, than it's hard to know exactly what leverage MS have got, apart
from money?

  Microsoft is a very successful marketing and government lobbying company.
Don't underestimate their marketing power to push brand-names over
substance.  Do take note of the "government of Vicente Fox shortly after
the ex-The Coca-Cola Co. executive took over the presidency in December of
2000" reference to help understand the politics of the situation.

  Anyone trying to take this on has to have done their homework, and it
was quite obvious that the past Mexican attempts didn't have any of the
required background to deal with the lobbying efforts of Microsoft.

---
 See http://weblog.flora.ca/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 http://www.flora.ca/osss2002/ "Open Source Solutions Showcase" (Past)
 Next: GOSLINGS (Getting Open Source and Linux INto GovernmentS)