Re: [ox-en] CNET: Lindows, anyone?

"Russ" == Russell McOrmond <russell flora.ca> writes:

    Russ> [snip]

    Russ>   Lindows actually makes me nervous a bit.  It is a merger
    Russ> between Windows and Linux in how it operates, but that
    Russ> includes some of the "flaws" in Windows.  One is that most
    Russ> Windows systems, as well as Lindows, runs by default as
    Russ> administrator/root.  I have long since believed that a
    Russ> system that encourages end-users to log in as root simply
    Russ> doesn't belong connected to the Internet.

    Russ>   Will it provide a clean migration path for people
    Russ> otherwise afraid of Linux?  Will its designed-in
    Russ> windows-like flaws end up hurting the reputation of Linux?

If some large proprietary software company (purely imaginary, of
course) had wanted to kill Linux this would have been the best
approach to take.  Direct attacks have failed.  What better way to
eliminate this Linux problem than to insidiously merge it with
proprietary software so that distinctions get blurred, the free
software community fragmented and the user community confused?

And how better to hide your motives than by challenging the name in
court on the grounds of similarity to an existing product?

I'm not afraid of the white hats or the black hats.  It's the grey
hats who scare me.

Damn, forgot to take my paranoia+conspiracy theory pills again today!

Regards,

-- Raju

--
Raju Mathur          raju kandalaya.org           http://kandalaya.org/