Re: GFDL (was: Re: [ox-en] [ot:ox-book] Zu Projekt 'ox-book')

MJ Ray wrote:
Benja Fallenstein <b.fallenstein gmx.de> wrote:

I do see the logic in it; I'm not impressed by them allowing either option in the first place, though.

Me neither.  I normally suggest using plain GPL or the DSL for copyleft
books.  http://www.dsl.org/copyleft/dsl.txt

Can anyone see a problem with that?

Incompatibility with the FDL, which quite some stuff is licensed under nowadays (including everything at opentheory.org); and for the GPL, determining what 'source code,' 'binaries' and maybe 'linking' is... I think using the GPL for non-code, *especially* non-technical works, may serve to frighten people away from taking the work and modifying it, since they don't understand how to apply the license conditions, and that's *not* good.

I do see DSL as a good option, though. If compatibility is seen as the lesser problem, definitely better than the FDL! (IMHO.)

-b.