Re: [ox-en] Two links

Hello Oekonux folks,

Also David Berry is involved in loca records
[http://www.locarecords.com], an Open Media label which releases music
under the Open Audio License or an own derivative of the GPL.

Actually, recently quite a few open source record labels have been formed.  Check out these links from the Linart mailing list:

http://www.linart.net/archive/msg01163.html

and here's one I know of not on the list:

http://www.rootrecords.org

and at least one label has had enough material for an hour-long radio show that was broadcast on the air:

http://www.opsound.org/opsound/events/juniradio.html

Although the idea had been around for a while (it dates back at least to Ram Samudrala's article, "The Free Music Philosophy", http://www.ram.org/ramblings/philosophy/fmp.html which was written in 1994), even as recently as 1 or 2 years ago, I could find on the Internet only a small amount of open source music by individuals, let alone labels,  and now there seem to be at least 8 or 9 different labels that formed independently, in many different parts of the world, at around the same time.

This also reminded me of a couple of links that show attempts to apply the free software idea to other areas.  The Internet Movie Project:

http://www.imp.org/

which is trying to apply the ideas of peer-to-peer and free software to CGI movie production; and Piece Pack

http://www.piecepack.org

which is applying free software principles to game design.  This is particularly interesting since they are trying to apply those principles to the game pieces as well as the game rules, so that production of the game pieces according to the design is allowed (and in fact has been done commercially).  So it starts to relate to material production as well as immaterial production.

Joel Schlosberg