[ox-en] The reproduction of the developers

Hi

I'm copying this to the Oekonux list.

On Tue 19-Aug-2003 at 11:23:35PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], ionnek wrote:

At 14:15 16/08/03, you wrote:

I was just reading an interesting post on nettime
about "Six Limitations to the Current Open Source
Development Methodology":

 http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0308/msg00043.html

this hooks in one of the discussions we had at the lake
garda seminar - we talked about oekonux and found a
flaw: yes it doesn't cost anything to develop things
together in the freesoftwareapproach, but the people who
do it have to make a living from somewhere - so there is
somehow a restriction of resources - the reproduction of
the developers.

Yes, the way it seems to work at the moment is a
combination of people doing it in their spare time, people
doing it and funding themselves by selling associated
services, people being employed to provide services and
support associated with free software, people being paid
to customise free software and people being employed to
work on free software projects by corporations because
they are using free software in competition with other
capitalists.

I was planning to write some more on this, about the
contradiactions between to the industrial capitals mode of
production and the mode of production of free software but
I have just re-read Grahams article from the last
conference:

  The Two Economies
  http://second.oekonux-conference.org/documentation/texts/Seaman.html

And that covers a lot of this stuff, please ask if it
doesn't answer you :-)

Also there is a page here for organising sessions at the
next conference:

  http://www.opentheory.org/oxkonferenz3/text.phtml

And I have suggested this:

  (100.5) Re: 3. Wer sollte für einen Vortrag/Workshop
  eingeladen werden?, 20.08.2003, 22:54, Chris Croome:
  ionnek gmx.net might be interested in doing a session on
  'free media production -- how Indymedia works' or
  something like that, she had written this document which
  is interesting because it shows how much like a free
  software project Indymedia is:

    http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/UkNetworkSnapshot

  http://www.opentheory.org/oxkonferenz3/text.phtml#100.5

I hope that is OK!