Re: business/3rd world (was Re: [ox-en] The Hipatia Manifesto)

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

Is this too reminiscent of old Maoist 1st/2nd/3rd world arguments?

Hmm, dunno, it is an interesting question. Perhaps it is
not going to be anything based on states -- free software
is international in it's character -- perhaps it will be
different sectors of the global economy that switch their
production methods one by one?

But if one of the drivers for this process is states deliberately
switching to free software for their own internal use (where 'internal'
includes not only administration, but also education, health etc) in order
to encourage a local software development industry (as opposed to a MS
installation industry) then surely the process is already partly state
based (with Brazil and South Africa as the leading states at the moment)?

Could you give an example of the sector-based alternative? I guess 'web'
might be one, but I can't think of any others. Maybe biotech is going that
way? I would guess it will be a combination of states/sectors, maybe it
makes no sense to argue which is primary.

Graham

This quantative shift is
happening already, what I have no idea about is what form
the qualitive shift will take -- the point at which the
free software mode of production become the dominant
one...

Chris

- --
http://chris.croome.net/