Re: [ox-en] Felix Stalder: Six Limitations to the Current Open Source Development Methodology

Hi Per and all!

Last week (9 days ago) Per I Mathisen wrote:
I'd add
7) Developed by multiple authors

Lately I wonder how true this is. There are a number of projects out
there which have only one developer. Again, I have no statistics at
hand.

For some areas where open source has been attempted to be applied, most
notably audio and visual artwork, it is rare that multiple authors
collaborate on a work.

This seems to be a feature of art in capitalist societies.

I am not aware of any tools for these areas that
encourage collaboration in the way that cvs and diff do for software, and
furthermore there is little culture of sharing 'sources' that allow
identical reproduction of the artwork from scratch.

In part this is of course because software requires multiple authors
because it is such a vast amount of work,

Well, the cooperation needs some work, too. Sometimes it's more
effective to do things on your own than to explain it to someone else
so this someone can join in.

while for audio/visual artworks
this is much harder, and it has been common to idealize the individual
genius who works alone as well as the 'final product' as a work of
finished art and perfection not needing any further changes.

Yes. We discussed this issue several times on the German list now. I'm
not sure whether and if so where the differences are. Bourgeois
ideology hails the individual genius as you say. But history shows
that great works of art can arise from non-individualist ideologies.

The community culture in the various sectors should not be underestimated.

*Very* true.

The contribution of Richard Stallman was not just the bunch of tools and a
license, but also an important precedent. There seems to be no similar
community culture within the audio/visual arts to draw inspiration from,
although this could quickly change.

I proposed a Richard Stallman for the mechanics commencing
break-throughs with fabbers and the like. The answer from a mechanical
engineer was: "They are too conservative."