Re: [ox-en] role of science and universities

--On 10. oktober 2003 07:25 -0400 graham seul.org wrote:
Yesterday Franz Nahrada wrote:
One more point: Free Software is often claimed to be modeled after the
scientific principles of openness and sharing.

I think that is simplifying a little. It seems to me there have been 3
main stages in the last few years

Only slightly disagreeing with your three-stages-model (which might be oversimplifying) I think Franz is right pointing at basic priciples of FS-development, such as peer review and open access. The latter is to varying degrees mere ideology both within FS and universities, as access to research as well as to FS development depends on restrictions in terms of culture and education. Both, universities and FS-projects _can_ be more or less exclusive. And we can observe trends of commodification in both domains.

thomas be