[ox-en] Re: [prep-l] The term "intellectual property"

I know "exclusive" strikes one that way at first.  But really if you think
about it, "exclusive" also in a stronger way than you might think, conveys
to people that that "excluding" is going on, that it's artificial, that it's
being devised legislatively.  All of this really is communicated
automatically pretty well to listeners when you use the term.  The other
side of doing this, using the original Constitutional language, is that it
lets us (Americans) leapfrog all the bogus notions encouraged by the way
exclusive rights policy has been developed over the years: bringing the
"stakeholders" together to hash out their differences and write up the law
themselves, then having them present that to Congress to sign off on,
leaving the public out of the equation and encouraging authors and inventors
to get incorrect notions whereby they see these rights as somehow natural.
There's a tendency that needs to be avoided, of casting things in terms of
small authors versus big publishers -- i.e., the "we need moral rights to
fight the publishers" outlook -- when even though one chooses the small guy
(I do, anyway) in that dispute, fighting that out on those terms means both
sides have some of the same misconceptions.

I don't use the term "exclusive rights" because of an impression that the US
Constitution is some sort of preferred model.  I use the term only to assert
a historical register, pointing back to a language that doesn't even
prejudge whether the right policy should be called "copyright" or "patents,"
and a clause that expresses the fast that the public are the chief
beneficiaries of exclusive rights.  In Europe, you might be able to assert
even older historical registers, might discover terms that don't even say
"exclusivity."

I think community knowledge should be understood by its advocates as
intrinsically free, as reflecting the fact that knowledge is like that
essentially (this is ineradicable, except by passing laws that make
"pirates" of people who parse and process and make "fair use" of information
published in expressive works -- laws that outlaw general purpose
computers).  I don't see legal categories for "community knowledge" as the
right thing to do.  The real win is just saying the truth: "information is
free."  It's not that it "wants to" be.  It's just a matter of whether we
can incentivize people to publish, so the information is available.

Seth

Martin Hardie wrote:

Seth
My one concern with this approach or maybe two is that I am not sure (and I
will say more about this during the week as I had a long think, well over 3
expressos actually,  about it yesterday) about the suitability of basing any
description of such a thing on the US Constitution. Ithink using US
Constitutional principles as a starting point creates for many of us as many
roblems as its may appear to solve.
Secondly, the community knowledge, and that is what I think we are talking
about in the end, is not in itself something created by statute but it exists
prior to statute and we are merely trying to fit into one of those categories
in order to get some cover.
The third (yeh I said one point) - "exclusive" troubles me a little.
As I said I will get back to ox-en about this US Constitutional stuff soon; I
think it is a double edged sword at best.
Take Care
Martin