[ox-en] A CRIStmas Carol

Hi Lists,

As I sit here froze to the bone in my igloo home, I have hacked together a story about Software, Economics and Politics - topics which I know we all have in mind. Like the Dickens' story of the same name, this one is authored with the intention of keeping our spirits warm in these dark days; like his story the main character is haunted by ghosts.

Modes of Production: Species and Genera
=======================================

Species
=======

Through out history people have created new and more efficient modes of producing the needs and wants of:

1. themselves, and
2. the particular society in which they are positioned.

The different species of production used by societies may be identified by the artifact used to regulate production.

Species: Capital M-C-M'
----------------------

The regulator of species capital is the money-system artifact, M-C-M', and is a recent invention of Homo sapiens.

Money was authored long before the evolution of species capital and it's intended character was to facilitate exchange C-M-C.

The money-system artifact is a sub-optimal regulator of production; it burns the vast majority of our labor in order to reproduce itself.

Also, the money-system artifact is mathematically flawed; it presumes infinite growth (M->M') in our finite world.

Species : CRIS
--------------

The regulator of the species of production used to make FLOSS [1] is the Common Review In-value System.

In this system we work together in open non-hierarchical groups (Common Review), and exchange information without price (In-value), in order to define and achieve common goals. Our words are our currency.

The artifacts used to regulate production in Species CRIS are groupware technologies eg. email lists, GPL, CPAN, Wikis, Mir etc. These artifacts are designed to allow anybody with an internet connection, and time on their hands, to start up and take part in group work.

This system enables us to author FLOSS, and other group learning artifacts, which are both more useful and less labor intensive than those produced by the money-system artifact.

* More useful because the intended character of our products and services are defined and made by groups in open peer review. Many of us in the West have witnessed peer review in-value systems in families, schools, work place, group therapy sessions etc.; some of us have been both fortunate and privileged enough to participate in peer review from time to time; I guess this describes the vast majority of the people reading this so I'll rest this point for the moment.

* Less labor intensive because we build things to last - we build libraries, we modularise; we build things for re-use; we don't build things to throw away and other wise pollute our planet. Further, we are not regulated in species CRIS by the money-system artifact which burns the vast majority of our labor in order to reproduce itself.

Species and Politics
--------------------

For a production species to become dominant it requires a State. A state is that group of people with the power to dictate which artifact is used to regulate production.

How a state ( the structure, the 'We' ) treats its objects ( the atom, the 'I' ) defines the Politics of that state.

States which use production-regulators to pump labor / wealth out of one group of people and in to the stomachs / minds of another have the politics of exploitation.

Not all states that have existed in our history have had a politics of exploitation; Nor should any new state.

When an exploited group of producers become aware of their exploitation they adopt the politics of antagonism.

The politics of exploitation / antagonism are the politics of hierarchy ; they are the politics of the 'Them' and the 'Us'.

Whether these states use the money-system artifact, brute-force or hypnotism to pump this labor matters little, at one abstraction, in that the particular regulator of labor extraction adopted by the state merely defines the different groups of this world and clarifies their position. The politics of these types of states are the politics of exploitation and consequently antagonism; these are the politics of hierarchy.

Genera
======

Through out our history people have created new and more efficient modes of producing the needs and wants of:

1. themselves, and
2. the particular society to which they belong.

The different genus of production modes used by societies may be identified by the artifact used to regulate reproduction.

Genus : Zeus
------------

"I still dream of organon - I wake up crying" Kate Bush: Cloud Bursting

Female reproductive and child-naturing labor underwrites the mathematics of species capitalism [2]; Labor / wealth is pumped out of women and in to the stomachs / minds of men in order to produce the *producers* required by the species. This is also the case in species real estate [3] and all other species of production using patriarchal-myth artifacts to regulate the production of the *producers*.

"Since that stage in the evolution when man ceased to be an animal and became Homo sapiens, it has been inherent in his nature, on looking at the world about him with wondering and puzzelled eyes, to ask the questions 'Why?' and 'How?' It is the result of his groping attempts throughout the ages to find the answer to these questions which we call religion - or mythology: for we are inclined to consider our own beliefs - if we have any - as religion, and other people's beliefs as mythology. A myth then is firstly, man's attempts to explain the world and the things he sees in it, and to make intelligible to himself the natural phenomena which condition his way of life in that world." [4]

One particular patriarchal-myth artifact which dominates western society is this: There exists a Natural Division of Labor, and that female reproductive and child rearing labor is 'naturally' the labor of women. This artifact was authored by the Greek philosophers Plato / Aristotle and propagated by many later day apostles such as Marx.

What then was the 'natural phenomena' which conditioned Plato and Aristotle's lives ? It is that population multiplies faster than food [5 Malthus], and consequently populations compete to survive. [5 Wallace, Darwin]

The Greek city states came in to being following a population growth and mass migration from the north; these migrations were of "experienced warriors rather than herdsman and peaceful settlement and intermarriage were less to their liking than conquest and appropriation of territory and the slaughter or enslavement of those whose lands they invaded.[4a]" This describes the first species of this genus of production - War.

The progressive conquests of these migrating warrior tribes replaced and subsumed the existing communities where both reproduction and production was regulated by mother-goddess artifacts; "Those myths which tell of the too-frequent quarrels between Zeus and Hera, his sister and queen, may appear undignified to us at first sight, but are simply allegories of the old worship and the new - as indeed, are most myths which tell of divine revolts.[4]"

The Greek philosophers were thinking in, and writing from, their privileged positions in the wealthy patriarchal states which crystallized from this genus of production; they authored patriarchal myth artifacts in effort to make sense of their own way of life. Their way of life was an existence in a state where the reproductive and child-naturing labor was undertaken by the women, and their myth was that this was a Natural Division of Labor. This patriarchal myth and its variants are the artifacts which regulate reproduction in genus zeus.

Zeus artifact made flesh and propagated through the generations: The Masculine experience.

"The Division of labor in childrearing results in an objectification of women - a treating of women as others, or objects, rather than subjects, or selves - that extends to our culture as a whole. Infantile development of the self is explored in opposition to the mother, as primary caretaker, who becomes the other. Because boys are opposite gender from their mothers, they especially feel a need to differentiate and yet find differentiation problematic. The boy comes to define his self more in opposition than through a sense of his wholeness or community. He becomes the self and experiences his mother as the other. The process also extends to his trying to dominate the other in order to ensure his sense of self. Such domination begins with mother as the object, extends to women, and is generalized to include the experience of all others as objects rather than subjects. This stance in which people are treated and experienced as things, becomes basic male Western culture.[6]"

"The literature on gender formation and acquisition suggests that there are ways in which masculine experience yields certain cognitive proclivities, tendencies which structure perception. Such Cognitive proclitives may comprise or contribute to intellectual frameworks implicitly organized around the ontological and epistemological primacy of the masculine subject, and include several among the following elements: a combative brand of dualistic thinking, a persistent and systematic amplification of the primal Self-Other oppositional dynamic; the creation of dichotomized polarities by which to describe and evaluate the events, objects, and processes of the natural and social worlds; the need for and privileging of singular identity and certainty with respect to one's "own" identity and that of other "objects" in the environment; the denial or refusal of relatedness, to fellow human beings and to nature; a fear and repudiation of natural contingency, including those limits imposed by the body and the natural surround; an identification of such contingency with the feminine; versions of a solitary subject immersed in an hostile and dangerous world; detailed expressions of radical or heroic individualism; preoccupation with themes of freedom, autonomy and transcendence; accounts of knowledge-as-opposition and knowledge-as-struggle, based on a distanced relation between the subject and object of knowledge; attitudes of fear, denigration and hostility towards whatever is identified as female of feminine; idealisation and glorification of the feminine. This last set of seemingly incompatible attitudes would recapitulate the effects of the differentiation from the material object, the (m)other.[2]"

Genus and Politics
-------------------

For a reproduction genus to become dominant it requires a State. A state is that group of people with the power to dictate which artifact is used to regulate reproduction.

States which use reproduction-regulators to pump labor / wealth out of women and in to the stomachs / minds of men have the politics of patriarchy.

Not all states that have existed in our history have had a politics of patriarchy; Nor should any new state.

Genus : Athena
--------------

"If the structure of my environment reflected the structure of my thinking, what information would that give me?" [7]

Like the character Scrooge in the Dickens' story we are beginning to learn that our path to salvation is through sharing what we have. Many of us live and work in the spirit of species CRIS all year long. Through our practice of species CRIS we are becoming aware of how our new learning shapes our relationships with others, and how it shapes our physical environment.

Unlike Scrooge, we are not at the end of our journey. We find that our newly acquired insights based on our ethics of sharing [8] are under threat of being swallowed by an older species of production.

Take good cheer you merry folk to our kin in these dark days; we find ourselves bonded in the protection of common property with the potential to unfold a mode of live upon our world which to date has only been the substance of myth; tell them this is how states normally evolve; tell them to get involved.

As we celebrate this solstice and the artifact television bombards our children with the patriarchal-life scripts of genus zeus, let us remember that species CRIS is now haunting the world, and let us contemplate more useful myths in these dark times.

--
http://testers.mkdoc.com/pat-fury/

[1] Free Libre Open Sorce Software - http://www.flora.ca/floss.shtml

[2] Christine Di Stefano - "Masculine Marx" : "Feminist Interpretations and Political Theory" Edited by Mary Lyndon Shanley & Carole Pateman

[3] "Meaning of 'Real Property - Land. The natural division of physical property is into land (sometimes called 'immovables') and other objects known as chattels or 'movables.' This simple distintion is inadequate. In the first place chattels may become attached to land so as to lose their character of chattels and become part of the land itself. Second, a sophisticated legal system of property has to provide not simply for ownership of physical property, but also for the ownership of a wide variety of *interests* in such physical property, and also for the ownership of interests in non-physical property, and also for the ownership of interests in non-physical or intangible property such as shares in companies or copyright. Third, for historical reasons English law has developed a distinction between 'real property' and 'personal property' which only approximately corresponds to that between 'land' and other types of property." - Megarry's Manual of the LAw of Real Property - Seventh Edition - Sir Robert Megarry / M.P. Thompson

[4] Barbara Leonie Picard - Introduction to the "All colour book of Greek Mythology" by Richard Patrick [4a] The Achean and Dorian invasions

[5] "Alfred Wallace returned from the tropics, as Darwin had done, convinced that related species diverge from a common stock, and nonplussed as to why they diverged. What Wallace did not know was that Darwin had hit on the explanation two years after he returned to England from his voyage in the *Beagle*. Darwin recounts that in 1838 he was reading the *Essay on Population* by the Reverend Thomas Malthus ('for amusement', says Darwin, meaning that it was not part of his serious reading) and he was struck by the thought in Malthus. Malthus had said that population multiplies faster than food. If that is true of animals, then they must compete to survive: so that nature acts as a selective force, killing of the weak, and forming new species from the survivors who are fittted to their environment.

'Here then I had at last a theory by which to work,' says Darwin. And you would have think that a man who said that would set to work, write papers, go out and lecture. Nothing of the kind. For four years Darwin did not even commit the theory to paper. Only in 1842 he wrote a draft of thirty five pages, in pencil; and two years later expanded it to two hundred and thirty five pages, in ink. And the draft he deposited with a sum of money and instructives to his wife to publish if he died." J.Bronowski - The Ascent of Man

[6] In Judith Lorber, Rose Laub Coser, Alice S. Rossi and Nancy Chodorow, "On the Reproduction of Mothering: A Methodological Debate," *Signs of Women in Culture and Society* - Quote reproduced in [2] above.

[7] Penny Tompkins and James Lawley - http://www.devco.demon.co.uk/SRP.html

[8] Five Freedoms of Knowledge

* The freedom to study any problem (freedom -1)
* The freedom to use the results of this study for any purpose (freedom 0)
* The freedom to examine the raw materials and methods used in this study,
and use them for your own needs (freedom 1).
* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbour
(freedom 2).
* The freedom to improve the results, and release your improvements to the
public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3).