Re: Identity as an OHA aspect (was: Re: [ox-en] Patents and Copy...)

On 17 Jan 2004 at 10:35, Casimir Purzelbaum wrote:

What is the identity of a free-software programmer?  What does it have
to do with his name, with the programs he writes etc? What does it
have to do with the world he lives in?  If there were no free-software
scene, he couldn't be an FS-programmer, no matter what he would think
about his programs and what he would wish for.  Hence, his "real
identity" as this or that cannot be determined.  The "real identity"
of any {person | thing | group | *} is an infinite thing.

I most certainly was a free software programmer long before I knew a
free software culture existed when even the term "free software"
meant only software that cost nothing. I know plenty of others who
are similar and I would strongly argue that the original BSD spirit
is about as free as you can get. Much more free than that whole GNU
ethos anyway.

Cheers,
Niall