Re: [ox-en] Germ of a new form of society or germ of a new form of business?

"Niall" == Niall Douglas <s_fsfeurope2 nedprod.com> writes:

    Niall> [snip]

    >> And of course the profits can come from the familiar area,
    >> services: support, training, etc.; and trademark licensing,
    >> potentially.

    Niall> Try selling free software to a mass market. You will
    Niall> fail. You can only sell free software to a business market
    Niall> profitably and therein lies a major problem - how to
    Niall> improve the lot of the home user who is lumbered with
    Niall> Microsoft.

Which implicitly postulates that selling software is the only way to
survive in the IT field.  Rather like assuming that selling
screwdrivers and wrenches is the only way to survive in the auto
market, as opposed to opening a repair shop.

I guess that once you postulate the earth is flat you can just do away
with the concepts of Australia, NZ, most of Africa, Antarctica and all
of South America.

Damn, I shouldn't be feeding the trolls... too late now!

    Niall> [more fascinating stuff snipped]

Regards,

-- Raju
--