Re: [ox-en] earliest open source licence

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Martin Hardie wrote:

Total self interest here ... when was the first Floss type licence?
which one?
the GPL??

Surely not the GPL.

The oldest free program I know of still in use is spice (electronics
sumulation), written in 1975. That now has a BSD license, but I'd guess
it picked up the license some time after being released. The BSD license
in its present form has 1979 as the first copyright date on it
(random eg: http://jicarilla.sourceforge.net/LICENSE.txt)

I'm pretty sure the MIT/X11 license is around the same age, and if I
remember right there was a similar Stanford one too.

The Emacs GPL was 1985, with various other one-off gpls following
after; the real gpl came in 1988; see:

http://www.free-soft.org/gpl_history/

Thanks
Martin