Re: Equality and Free Software (was: Re: [ox-en] Germ of a new form of society or germ of a new form of business?)

"From each according to their ability,
To each according to their needs."

That about sums it up. What else is there to discuss?

Lots. How about replacing 'ability' and 'need' with 'desire',
for a start?
Yes - unless 'ability' and 'need' is defined strictly by the individual then I think you are impinging on the concept of 'self'-unfolding. With such a definition I think that 'desire' becomes more appropriate as it is a purely individual reality. Of course this is exceptionally hard! To remove society's ability to define the needs and abilities of it's members seems to make it almost impossible for society to structure itself in a reasonable manner (if we start from currently available constructs). I believe this is *far* removed from where we are currently - I doubt it will be actualized within my lifetime. But I am loath to reduce the goal such that it becomes more easily available.

-sándor