[ox-en] Fwd: New licenses for Apache project

Hi!

Old news but nonetheless intersting.

------- Forwarded Message

Date:  Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:39:21 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] (MET)
From:  Christian Siefkes <siefkes mi.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:  [chox] =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Apache-Projekt_erw=E4gt_neue_Lizenzen?=
To:  chat oekonux.de, <gnu lists.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de>

... die unter anderem endlich echte GPL-Kompatibilität erreichen sollen...

Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:33:17 -0800
From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding apache.org>
To: announce apache.org
Subject: Review of proposed Apache License, version 2.0

The Apache Software Foundation is considering the adoption of a
new set of licenses for our open source projects.  We invite you to
review and comment on the proposed 2.0 license and related material,
which can be found at

     http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/

A mailing list has been set up for public review and discussion
of the license prior to the ASF members meeting at ApacheCon [*].
The address is <license AT apache.org> and you can join it by
sending a blank message to <license-subscribe AT apache.org>.

The goals of this license revision have been to reduce the number
of frequently asked questions, to allow the license to be reusable
without modification by any project (including non-ASF projects),
to allow the license to be included by reference instead of listed
in every file, to clarify the license on submission of contributions,
to require a patent license on contributions that necessarily
infringe the contributor's own patents, and to move comments
regarding specific Apache trademarks and attribution notices to
a location outside the license terms (the NOTICE file).

The result should be a license that is compatible with other
open source licenses, such as the GPL, and yet still remains true
to the original goals of the Apache Group and supportive of
collaborative development across both nonprofit and commercial
organizations.  At least that's the idea -- if you note a potential
problem with the new license, please let us know so that we can
work on fixing it now rather than after it has been applied to
our projects.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding, director, The Apache Software Foundation
                  (fielding AT apache.org)  <http://roy.gbiv.com/>

[*] ApacheCon is in Las Vegas, Nov 16-19 <http://www.apachecon.com/>

http://www.oekonux.de/

------- End of Forwarded Message