Re: [ox-en] BBC licensing

Hi!

4 days ago Yuwei Lin wrote:
During the WOS I heard that BBC is going to open up its archives to
the commons. Does anyone have a reference to this? Any comments on
this?

The comment from Rupert Goodwins is quite poignant.

http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020505,39155936,00.htm

That's really interesting. And also a good example that the Digital
Commons discourse is taken up.

BTW: I looked up "Commons" in my favourite online dictionairy and
found two translations.

The one is that what probably is usually meant: "Allmende", i.e. a
place where a group of people - usually a village - had some area
which they used together.

The other meaning is what I meant by "Dritter Stand" recently: The
bourgeoise social group / "class" (lacking a better word). I actually
wonder whether this was part of the plan when Lessig(?) coined that
term. However, it perfectly fits my analysis in the role of this new
social group. To prevent misunderstandings I think I'm going to talk
about the Digital Commons from now on.

Some interesting paragraphs of Rupert's article I'd like to comment.

Rupert Goodwin wrote:
By adopting Creative Commons ideas, the BBC is showing how public
service adds vitality to digital IP

I don't know whether I'd put it this way. However, what I find really
interesting is that the (state) public here adds to the Digital
Commons.

Good news is rare in wartime. The intellectual property battles seem a
Darwinian melee where the powerful are free to set rules that crush
the different, the innovative and the revolutionary before they have a
chance to grow. So it is with joy and excitement that I learned the
BBC is to adopt Creative Commons (CC) style licences for its Creative
Archive project -- the vast database of content it is building for
public consumption.

Hopefully they choose the CC License so it gets even more public
recognition.

This is one of the most substantial endorsements yet for the CC idea,
which grants explicit legal freedoms to consumers while protecting the
wishes -- or legal obligations --of creators. With chief Commoner
Lawrence Lessig acting as a permanent advisor to the project, the BBC
is taking this step very seriously indeed: it's the clearest statement
yet that public service ideals can and will continue to flourish
online.

In some way it seems that this is another example of agents of the
ancient regime nurture the new logic :-) . Similar to the situation
when IBM does this as an agent of the private sector.

Is this fair? The BBC spends some of its billions publishing
technology news online, in direct competition with the company that
pays my wages. By rights I should resent this use of its massive
resources: I do not. The BBC legitimised radio as a useful,
interesting and valuable medium; it did the same for television. By
becoming a strong voice on the Internet, it has helped the UK become
much more at ease in the online world. It delivers readers, not
abducts them.

This is a particular generous remark. I hope all the (good) musicians
and other creative people will follow :-) .