[ox-en] RE: [minciu_sodas_en] A new challenge - Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit

Franz,

Since for many it is a leap to go from software to open source it might
be good to explain the rationale of nominating OSE.

Secondly I think we need to address the business case for open source
and thus more clearly explain how these ventures make money as compared
to existing properietary models. This will help people to overcome the
fear of giving up many of their intellectual property rights. Keep in
mind Open Source is not necessary no intellectual rights but a more
relaxed IP structure as is implied by creative commons
www.creativecommons.org licencing.

Recently a critic of FLOSS made some points about some of the weaknesses
of the movement on the GKD-DOTCOM Discussion group . We see a common
problem within an idealistic movement is that often times the hype
overpowers the real impact of the movement. This needs to change for us
to be effective in our lofty goals. Specifically we have to be clear in
our objectives as well as the financial rationale for sustaining and
expanding that particular open source project, particularly as we extend
the open source concept beyond software.

...the fact that it is NOT about free software, but the spirit behind
it. The main purpose I see here is to help us collect building blocks of
useful contributions to our culture. It is also a reality check to see
what is achieved and what not.

Good point, and in terms of what is not achieved I think we need to look
at financing as a key issue that is slowing down the momenum of this
fusion of ecological design, social entreprenurialism and open source.

I have added a link to the article mentioned above in the GKD group:
"Free and Open Source Software: A Blind Alley for Developing Countries?"
- is available at: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/idpm/dig/briefings.htm by
Dr Richard Heeks Development Informatics Group IDPM, University of
Manchester, UK.

For those interested in joining GKD-DOTCOM email group
majordomo mail.edc.org  subscribe gkd in body of message. Archives of
previous GKD messages can be found at: http://www.edc.org/GLG/gkd/

Creative commons has developed a useful little tool that helps you
search content for free and without permission in your work. Sounds like
a powerful tool that should be included in any ICT toolshed.

Also I wanted to share with you the work I have done with ZERI's
Integrated Farming Systems. I noticed there was not centralized place
where you can go and have links for researching the Progress made for
the Integrated Farming and Waste Management System IF&WMS developed by
Prof George Chan. So I designed the page as a way to address that. I am
planning to make further modifications to the site but I wanted to share
this with the groups as this is another example of the open sharing of
information.
http://www.onevillagefoundation.org/ovf/ecoliving_solutions/modules/if&w
ms.html
(still under construction)

World Changing wrote about our work in promoting the IF&WMS in June on
their blog http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002954.html

Jeff

I think this is a great step forward. Especially the fact that it is NOT
about free software, but the spirit behind it. The main purpose I see
here
is to help us collect building blocks of useful contributions to our
culture. It is also a reality check to see what is achieved and what
not.

Can we keep track in the Oekonux Wiki with investigating good entries?

http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/FreeModes/General

My personal nominee for the first year will be Open Source Ecology of
Marcin Jakubowski, www.sourceopen.org.

-----

http://www.fsf.org/news/social-benefit-award.html
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html
-----
Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit

Please send your nominations by 30 November 2005.

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) announces the creation of a new
annual
award, and a call for nominations:

"Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit"

This award is presented to the project or team responsible for applying
free software, or the ideas of the free software movement, in a project
that intentionally and significantly benefits society in other aspects
of
life.

We look to recognize projects or teams that encourage collaboration to
accomplish social tasks. A long-term commitment to one's project (or the
potential for a long-term commitment) is crucial to this end.

This award stresses the use of free software in the service of humanity.
We have deliberately chosen this broad criterion so that many different
areas of activity can be considered. However, one area that is not
included is that of free software itself.

Projects with a primary goal of promoting or advancing free software are
NOT eligible for this award (we honor those projects with our annual [
http://www.fsf.org/news/fs-award-2005.html ]Award for the Advancement of
Free Software).

We will consider any project or team that uses free software or its
philosophy to address a goal important to society. To qualify, a project

- must use free software,
- produce free documentation,
- or use the idea of free software as defined in the [
fcp:// reflex.at,%239905409/licensing/essays/free-sw.html ]Free Software
Definition.

Work done commercially is eligible, but we will give this award to the
project or team that best utilizes resources for society's greater
benefit.

Please send your nominations to [ award-nominations gnu.org
]<award-nominations gnu.org>, on or before Monday 30 November 2005.
Please
submit nominations in the following format:

# Put the name of the project or team you are nominating in the email
message subject line.
# Please include, in the body of your message, an explanation (40 lines
or
less) of the project, how it uses free software or free software ideas,
and why you think it is especially important to society.
# Please state, in the body of your message, where to find the materials
(e.g., software, manuals, or writing) which your nomination is based on.

We will announce the members of the 2005 award committee shortly.

---------------------------------

Some other candidates that we might examine:

Public Patent Foundation (http://www.pubpat.org) for their Patent
Commons
initiative
Bioforge (http://www.bioforge.org/)

what else is happening ?

Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/pyIolB/TM
minciu_sodas_en-unsubscribe yahooGroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

    minciu_sodas_en-unsubscribe yahoogroups.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.