Re: [ox-en] Bye folks [u]

Well, that's a spirited defense. I agree with your question to Geert. Oekonux is part of a ecosystem of places for people looking for engaged dialogue. Are there others? That's what Oekonux should be compared to, to see how it is complementary to other efforts.

  From my point of view, oekonux comes close to a permanent investigation of  peer production though it is, for me, to exclusively focused on free software; but most other sources I know, are more places for artists. I also use the French-language Multitudes list, which also have drawbacks, but is useful for its continuing discussion of cognitive capitalism and the reactions against it. Like most lists, from an individual point of view, it only contains a limited amount of useful info, but what is useless to me is not useless to somebody else,etc..

  What else is out there? Nettime?

  Michel

dafermos datahost.gr wrote:

Which major shift? I must have missed something. All I see on this
list
is stagnation, repetition of arguments and a major disengagement with
the complex world of floss and where it is heading.

Geert

I don't agree. Taken together, the Oekonux-hosted lists constitute one
of the very few places/spaces on the Net where critical discussion as
regards to cyberspace, digital products, open sources and free software,
etc., etc., takes place. That's the way I see it anyway. Of course, I am
always interested in finding out similarly interesting spaces, and I am
sure there must be some that I'm not aware of (besides, that's the magic
of cyberspace: that amid chaos there is a plethora of fragments of
formidable social ingenuity) so if you know of any such places/spaces
whose raison d'etre coincides with Oekonux's, I'd very much appreciate
it if you could point me to their virtual whereabouts.

Now, as regards to free software/open source, I believe that the hard
thinking done by people in and around Oekonux is unique, multifaceted,
utterly critical, and surely path-breaking. In fact, there are quite a
few research papers, books in progress, and scholarly publications by
the people in and around Oekonux.

Though I cannot speak on behalf of nobody but myself, there are many
works that come to mind when thinking of the intellectual output that is
directly influenced or linked to Oekonux in one way or another. For
instance, see:

- Johan Soderberg's "Reluctant Revolutionaries - the false modesty of
reformist critics of copyright", at http://journal.hyperdrome.net/issues/issue1/soderberg.html

- Raoul Victor's "The Visibility of the Revolutionary Project and New
Technologies" [forthcoming in Issue 2 of Journal of
Hyper(+)drome.Manifestation] and his "Free software and Market
Relations", at http://www.oekonux.org/texts/marketrelations.html

- Michel Bauwens's texts: "Peer-to-Peer: from Technology to Politics to
a New Civilization?", at http://noosphere.cc/peerToPeer.html ;
"Peer-to-Peer and Human Evolution: P2P as the premise of a new mode of
civilization", at http://p2pfoundation.net/index.php/Manifesto .

- in the spirit of shameless self-promotion, I'd also include my own
texts: "Five Theses on Informational - Cognitive Capitalism", at
http://opensource.gr/hyperdrome/usr/dafermos/immaterial_labour/22c3.html
; "The Critical Delusion of Immaterial Labour" [see earlier draft at
http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/dafermos4.pdf ]; and "the Critical
Delusion of the Condition of Digitisation", at
http://hyperdrome.net/people/dafermos/21c3/delusion_of_digitisation.html
.

Perhaps more important than the texts I have authored is that the greek
opensource.gr site, which I have recently started to develop (I am
currently assembling a team of volunteers who will ensure that the site
becomes self-sustainable without me - unfortunately, there is not much
content on the english pages of the site as of the time of writing...)
is congruent with the scope of Oekonux, and seeks to provide a space for
the decentralised continuation of critical perspectives as regards open
sources.

Or even perhaps more importantly than all the above, at least as far as
I'm concerned, is that had not been for Oekonux, I would not have forged
relationships with either Michel Bauwens, Johan Soderberg, Raoul Victor,
or the other great people in and around Oekonux. This fact alone is
compelling enough for me to justify the raison d'etre of Oekonux:
cementing relationships with real people, igniting new projects and
soliciting community support, and engaging in critical perspectives.

That said, I cannot see a disengagement with the complex world of
FS/OSS. On the contrary, I see different people coming together to shape
themselves and the world as they go about shaping themselves. This is
the magic and the accomplishment of Oekonux: providing people with a
virtual roof where all things become possible.

george

Yahoo! Shopping