Re: [ox-en] Re: Next successful Free Product?

To also to reply to Stefan's question.

  My weekly newsletter, listed under P2P News at the following site (and  you can subscribe to it by email by sending me a request), monitors  many examples in the field, I have no time to go through them, but  anyone can browse through them. They are also listed in the endnotes to  my manuscript, that is about 100 pages long. If anyone has some time,  they could help me in categorizing to the right hand page categories at  the P2P Foundation site. It's a huge collation of information that  could be of use for many. See already the movements, resources, and  encyclopedia sections of the site, where I'm posting the endnotes, 12  per day.

      -          Archive of newsletter at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p  ; The Foundation for P2P Alternatives is at http://www.p2pfoundation.net/index.php/Main_Page

  Wikipedia can easily be extended to the whole field of wiki-based  microcontent that allows literally millions of people to learn. The  same for blogs. These are not marginal developments and really change  the reading and media habits of many people.

  We should also think about 'mixed processes', i.e. mixed traditional,  mixed peer participation: citizen journalism, citizen science,  user-based innovation (book by erik von hippel, etc..) in corporate  development, etc..

  Michel

Jason Bechtel <jasonmbechtel gmail.com> wrote:  [Hi.  My first post since rejoining the list a little while ago...  I
was on the list briefly several years ago.  Sorry to read of all the
departures...  Glad to see some people are still here.]

Along the lines of Free Science, I think the case is strongest in the
areas where software is most entrenched.  I happen to have just been
accepted into a Masters program in Bioinformatics, Proteomics and
Genomics.  This field is ripe for the message of Free Software.  In
fact, much has already been done.  As I wrote in my personal statement
as part of my application to the program:

 A movement in this direction has already been underway for several
years.  For example, on January 1, 2000, Dr. Steven E. Brenner
accepted a research post developing bioinformatics software at UC
Berkeley on the condition that he have the freedom to freely
distribute his work.  Since its inception, the European Bioinformatics
Institute has been responsible for promoting open source
bioinformatics.  The NIH's public Human Genome Project and the SNP
Consortium's public-private Hap Map project are examples of
collaborations that extend around the globe.  Perhaps most
demonstrative of all, open source languages, libraries and tools, such
as BioPerl, hidden Markov model libraries, the NCBI toolkit and
EMBOSS, are now at the heart of mainstream bioinformatics.  And there
are now serious efforts underway to find treatments for tropical
diseases like dengue and malaria using open source bioinformatics in
an international collaborative environment....

Science abhors secrecy.  We see what happens when pharmaceutical
companies get to pick and choose the studies they want to pay
attention to and which to ignore...  When the science is embodied to a
great extent in software, at it often is with drug discovery and
modeling, and where much of that research is paid for by the NIH and
NSF (thus, public tax dollars) there is an excellent case to be made
for all of that code being at least open, if not Free.

Jason