[ox-en] Re: [Upd-discuss] Re: [Upd-board] "Development", "freedom", and UPD's objectives

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 04:14:41 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] Peter Eckersley wrote:

 I also believe that if a utilitarian oracle was given the narrow choice
 between the present system and no copyright/patent/EULA restrictions on
 software at all, it would favour the latter.

<quote>

  The Hope of Friendship
  ----------------------

  When each of two persons,
   instead of being a nothing,
  is a something;
   when they are attached to one another,
     and are not too much unlike to begin with;
  the constant partaking of the same things,
   assisted by their sympathy,
  draws out the latent capacities of each
   for being interested in the things ...
    by a real enriching of the two natures,
     each acquiring the tastes
      and capacities of the other
       in addition to [their] own.

          -- John Stuart Mill

  Mill's praise of marital friendship [is] almost lyrical,
  and struck resonances with Aristotle's and Cicero's,
  and Montaigne's similar exaltations of the pleasures
  as well as the moral enrichment of this form of human intimacy.

  This expansion of human capacities did not,
  however,
  exhaust the benefits of friendship.

  Most importantly,
   friendship developed
    what Montaigne praised
     as the abolition of selfishness

       the capacity to regard another human being
       as fully as worthy as oneself.

  Therefore friendship of the highest order
  could only exist between those of equal in excellence.

  And for precisely this reason,
   philosophers from Aristotle to Hegel
  had consistently argued that women
  could not be men's friends,

       for women lacked the moral capacity
       for the highest form of friendship.

       Indeed,
       it was common to distinguish the marital bond from friendship

         not solely on the basis of sexual and procreative activity,
         but also because women could not be
         part of the school of moral virtue
         which was found in friendship at its best.

  Mill therefore made a most significant break with the past
  in adopting the language of friendship
  in his discussion on marriage.

   For Mill,
   no less than for any of his predecessors,

     "the true virtue of human beings
      is the fitness to live together as equals."

   Such equality required that individuals

     "[claim] nothing for themselves
      but what they as freely concede to everyone else,"

      that they regard command of any kind as
      "an exceptional necessity,"
      and

      that they prefer whenever possible
      "the society of those with whom leading and following
       can be alternate and reciprocal."

  This picture of reciprocity,
  of the shifting of leadership according to need,
  was a remarkable characterisation of family life.

  Virtually all of Mill's liberal contemporaries accepted the notion
   of [the inevitable complimentary natures]
    of male and female personalities.

  Mill,
  however,
  as early as 1833 had expressed is belief that

    "the highest masculine and highest feminine" characteristics
    were without any real distinction.

  That view of the androgynous personality lent support
  to Mill's brief for equality in the family.

        -- Mary Lyndon Shanley

</quote>