[ox-en] Agriculture for the GPL society

Hi!

I just saw a TV report about an interesting way to produce plants.
It's a real machine based approach to growing plants in a very highly
automated way. See

	http://www.organitech.com/

for the corporation building the machines. It also has a number of
ecological advantages. I found a report about it on

	http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/06/vertical_farmin_2.php

Some advantages listed there:

  * Water efficient.

  * Environment friendly technology.

  * Eliminates weather and climate related risks.

  * Ability to locate anywhere, minimizing distribution costs.

  * Hydroponic technology, no herbicides or pesticides

  * Space efficiency, the integrated machines are stackable

  * Labor costs are reduced to near zero.

  * Glatt-kosher standard, no insects or worms present.

  * Optimum growth conditions resulting in short growing cycle / high
    productivity.

  * Clean, safe and ready-to-eat produce.

  * Steady production cost year-round.

They were a bit concerned about the energy spent but then "We were
relieved to learn that where there is room to spread out horizontally,
a new unit built out of a 40' container with a greenhouse roof can be
used to reduce the need for artificial lighting."

There is also a more detailed Wired article about it at

	http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,68888,00.html

Actually this looks to me like the GPL society answer to the problem
of agriculture. Reducing need of human labor to near zero I find very
promising but also that it looks like a really ecological way to do
agriculture.