Re: [ox-en] Fwd: WOS4 will rock

Hi Magius, Yuwei, all!

3 days ago magius wrote:
What do you think are the most interesting speeches at this WOS?

Generally I find the topic "Information Freedom Rules" interesting in
both ways to read it: "The theme demarkated by the subtitle of WOS 4
will be running through the conference as a whole: the question which
freedom do we mean, and what rules does it take to make it
sustainable."

Among the panels I find "Brazil, the Free Culture Nation"
[http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2313] an interesting topic I
really like to know more of. I'm especially curious on Fernanda
Weiden.

The panel "Netlabels: Niche, Long Tail, Blueprint?"
[http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2314] I find also interesting.
Indeed netlabels IMHO are something which certainly needs our
attention because really interesting things are happening there.

The panel "Quality Management in Free Content"
[http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2316] addresses an IMHO
absolutely pressing question. The debates in Wikipedia - which I think
is another germ form - about these things will give a lot to think
about - regardless of their outcome. In this panel I'm also keen to
hear Ulrich Pöschl again who argued so nicely on the quality aspect of
Open Access models.

In "Information Freedom Rules"
[http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2311] I'm keen to see Yochai
Benkler.

The panel on "Open Source Biotechnology"
[http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2847] is interesting to me
because I'd like to know about whether and how principles of Free
Software are adopted in this area.

The panel "Licenses" [http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2322] is
with Mako and Lawrence Lessig. Looks like an interesting combination.

The panel "The Future of Free Software"
[http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=2323] sounds interesting but I
am a bit sceptical whether it will be really good.

2 days ago Yuwei Lin wrote:
I've had a look at the programme of WOS4. I must confess that neither am
I impressed by the cast of the speakers/discussants, nor do I like the
American-oriented flavour. I have the impression that the programme of
WOS3 was more diverse and complete.

What I dislike it that AFAICS WOS is more or less closed. Or did
anyone see a call for papers / contributions? The WOS conference also
has some tradition to invite big names. I don't like this attitude.
This WOS also has only a single track which I find counterproductive.
But hey, it's not an Oekonux conference and still I find the WOS one
of the most interesting conferences for Oekonux topics.

How do others reckon?

My cent.