[ox-en] Fwd: [pox] MIKATOPIA

This should go here...

Subject: [pox] MIKATOPIA
Date: 2007-02-01 21:47
From: mika <mikatopia yahoo.co.uk>
To: Oekonux Projekt <projekt oekonux.de>

I hope I am posing in the right place - apologies if I have this wrong.
Best regards Mika.

A collaborative new world simulation ?Third Life?

Idea Summary To create a virtual world whose economy is based solely on
human need, and not on profit. The Earth has more than enough resources
to feed the world.

There are various degrees of belief and convictions in another possible
form of world order, and you don't have to be an anarchist, Marxist,
green or an anti-globalisation activist to observe the following: the
world we live in yields over-production on the one hand, with one third
of the world threatened by obesity, whilst another two thirds endures
wars and starvation.

The last nail in our planetary coffin will be hammered in by a system
which puts profit above long term survival of the earth?s ecosystem.

Necessity & Possibility Not all would agree on the possibility of
another economic system but if there is one thing a growing number of
people tend to agree on it is the necessity for a new world order
rather than suffering one dominated by profit, greed, wars, poverty,
savage urbanisation and plundering of the earth?s resources.

What? This new world order can be built!

At least we can simulate what a world would look like if it was built
on other rules. ?Second Life? provides an interesting example if in
negative. It has indeed been perfectly possible to create a simulation
of the world in which we live, where people?s avatars interact.

In some ways it is a shameful waste that such wonders of imagination
and technology are being used to replicate a lot of what's wrong with
our world: everything there is for sale including sex.

We propose to build a brand new simulated world where production will
be solely geared to fulfilling human needs; where the billions of
dollars spent every day on improving military arsenals can be totally
redeployed feeding bodies and minds; where the average working week
falls well below 30 hours.

What is the use of millions of hours spent in the banking industry?
Answer: profits lining the pockets of a few, millions falling into a
spiral of debt.

Billions of people, when they can hang on to a job, leading depressing
and unfulfilled lives, working in a lot of cases 40+ hours producing
nothing, but feeding the profit machine.

How? This is open for discussion. The project could take the form of an
open source development environment and we will need technical people
 to drive a number of activities.

There needs to be some kind of collective terms of reference which will
define what rules will define this new world. "Gamers" or people
joining this environment will be able to get familiar with the running
of a world geared to human needs.

How would food manufacturing run now that it is no longer based on
profit?

Overproduction will disappear and the working week will shrink to what
is only necessary to sustain human needs, and not 20 or more times
leading to wastage and destruction of food as well as pollution from
intensive farming.

A large number of industries based on profit will disappear or shrink,
liberating millions who will be able to work much less but in 100%
productive ways.

The possibilities are endless.

Phase 1 The first phase does not need expensive graphics or complex
 user interfaces. There are a number of technical strategies already
 identified.

The most ambitious one would be a bunch of developers to re-use and
re-deploy Second Life code which is now available in the public domain
to build the foundation of our new world.

The least ambitious would probably be the use of Flash or a similar
mocking-up tool to build a prototype and generate enthusiasm in the
project.

This combined with a wiki containing the rules of our new world could
become the foundations on which more sophisticated versions could later
be built.

---Watch this space---

Posted by Mika
 http://mikatopia.blogspot.com/index.html_____________________________