Re: [ox-en] Re: Free Software is not a gift

George N. Dafermos wrote:
Hello Stefan,

In a nutshell, I do not doubt the fact that many
developers do NOT want any personal relationship with
other participating developers; but neither am I
unaware of the fact that there is an intrinsic
motivation in joining and participating in a
*community* for many developers. And from what I see,
these two facets need not be mutually exclusive, as
different developers may well have different reasons
for joining the same project-centric community.

There is from my experience no reason to exclude the one form the other - you can look at it from a 'level' point of view --> when it comes to classic personal relationships there is exchange of gifts . On the other hand, on the cultural level the gift exchange might be missing (which might equal a 'demand sharing culture' - as I have proposed).
Though this might also be to simple a distinction (with the levels)?

--

Gregers Petersen
Anthropologist, Ph.d fellow

Free Software & Ownership