[ox-en] Free Software and social movements in South America

--- Raoul <raoulv club-internet.fr> wrote:

But, will this be the case for a transition into a
post-capitalist, a non
proprietary society? Can we imagine the capitalist
ruling class saying: We
recognize that the non proprietary logic gets
"superior results" for human
needs than the capitalist one, so, we abandon our
property and profit rights
over all the means of production in order to open
the way to a more human
society? That would be great! But we know it won't
happen.

But two things are likely to happen:

1) for profit companies will increasingly face for
benefit production companies beating them at
asymmetric competition

2) this will drive the adoption by for profit
companies themselves of non-proprietary software (and
designs generally), of partially open, free ,
participatory, commons oriented strategies as an
adjunct or key part of their strategies. Quite a few
will shift to attention market strategies, built only
capitalism modes, and commons oriented derivatives
modes

the new will partially destroy the older models, but
can also create a crisis of accumulation as lots of
the new practices are not fully monetizable

3) peer production communities will continue to arise,
but its members facing precarious circumstances,
leading to social tensions and demands for reform

4) the miniaturization/distribution of physical
production leads to a situation where the kind of
centralization of capital may become obsolete and does
not require wage relationship types of capitalism.
Social innovation compliments and replaces
entrepreneurial modes of innovation, putting capital
out of the a priori picture but putting it in the a
posteriori picture, note the capital requirements of
internet companies have fallen by 80% in 10 years,
venture capital is only minimally present in web 2.0
and is slowly deserting open source influenced
software industry because of lack of a clear business
model

You say: "they spread Free Software and thereby
spread the idea and also the
spirit.

Isn't that great?" Yes, it is positive. In my
previous mail I wrote: "they
introduce some 'free practices' and thus extend
them."

But it would be an illusion to think that this is a
non limit process and
that one day we shall wake up in a free non
proprietary society without even
notice-it.

I agree with that, this is why peer producers need
visions and theories to defend their own interests.

Michel

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at  http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html; video interview, at http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/