Re: [ox-en] Where / who is the enemy?

Hi Stefan,

I want to clarify my thinking regarding the enemy.

Clearly, in both sharism (youtube) and commonism (linux, wikipedia), there are lines of tension between sharers vs. platform owners and common producers vs. private appropriators ...; also such new practices invarariably threaten established interests (filesharing vs. RIAA)

However, just as in feudalism, the new practices because of their higher productivity, are also of interest to existing elite players, including the state, so they are incorporating them in their own value chains.

My main thesis is that there is a reconfiguration of sections of the ruling class, becoming netarchical capitalists (enabling the creation of social value but also monetizing it, capturing it), and with producing classes becoming peer producers. Peer production is a new life practice, related to a new position in the  production process (having their own means of production and distribution), and in this sense, it is less directed 'against capitalism' as an enemy, by being capitalist, than post-capitalist.

The interests of netarchists and peer producers can be both convergent and divergent.

So the 'no enemy' thing means this:

1) both classes are reconfiguring around a new reality

2) the new life practice is essentially constructive at this stage

To use a historical analogy. Were the early merchants and capitalists 'fighting' against a clear feudal enemy, or were they rather creating new practices which were partly aligned and partly divergent from existing practices. Only at a much later than emergent stage would clear class conflicts arise but even then the interplay between bourgeois and nobles was very varied.

So no enemy meant: not the direct antagonist struggle for surplus value as opposed the workers and the capitalists.

Michel

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.
Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at  http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html; video interview, at http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm