Re: [ox-en] Re: Importance of price

Hi StefanS!

Last week (9 days ago) Stefan Seefeld wrote:
The point I was opposing was a highly simplistic
representation of Free Software as something that is done by people that
are privileged enough to a) have the required education to work on Free
Software and b) have the resources to do so, too (free time, most of
all).

If that is really your question you already gave the answer I'd
actually give: People have to have some preconditions to create Free
Software. But that is true for *every* human activity - be it baking
it a cake, building a car, praying to some god or shooting a person -
where the concrete preconditions are mostly determined by the activiy.
I really don't think Free Software or other sorts of peer production
is in any way special in this regard.

By no means did I mean to imply that developers would work only
for money, or in exchange for some other goods.
But repeatedly stating that people write Free Software Because They Can,
without asking why they can, is rather short-sighted, IMO.

IMHO it's not short-sighted but simply trivial.