Re: [ox-en] potlatch

Franz Nahrada wrote:
Gregers writes:
It destroyed the culture of the Northwest coast indians, and their way
of life ... hence destroyed 'all production' (of these cultures, but not
that something instead could be produced by western/russian settlers etc.
I practical terms all production (fish, furs, whales etc.) was converted
into objects/goods which then was burned and destroyed (in what has been
described as rather unpleasant ways).

It is very likely that things happened this way, but could that have been
the original idea? Geregers you write about an original idea of the
potlatch and I find that fascinating.

I'm just trying to remember what others have written on the subject - but, I think there are some parallels to your personal example.

--

Gregers Petersen
Anthropologist, Ph.d fellow

Free Software & Ownership