Re: [ox-en] The Ideology of Free Culture and the Grammar of Sabotage

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:37:26 -0800 (PST), Michael Bauwens
<michelsub2003 yahoo.com> wrote:

So, let's assume you are talking to young people co-creating value in
some
way or another, we have to choices: 1) convince them, against their
better
judgment, that they are just pawns of the system, and should revert to a
purely dependent wage relationship, and certainly not create any use
value
for themselves and their peers, as this is just exploitation, so let's
just
sabotage; or: 2) recognize the positive social advance that such
collective
peer production of use value entails, show them how part of that value is
escaping them, how the protocl of the privately owned social systems put
them at a disadvantage, and give them a literary of cooperation so they
can
build alternatives?

Michel, it is disapointing that the responses of Graham and yourself are so
defensive, responding to factual, logical and philosphical critism by
playing martyr (especially Graham's whining response) and so invested in
creating fallacious false dilemmas as the one above.

I can't speak for Matteo, who I hope to get to know better, but do not know
well currently, but I certainly do not endorse that anyone "should revert
to a purely dependent wage relationship," so I am not sure what the point
is of introducing such nonsense is.

And the old canard of "talking to young people" is groan-inducing, neither
my, nor Matteo articles are addressed to a popular audience, but rather at
at fellow practitioners and those interested in discussing theory.

A refusal to engage with the challenges of creating peer production is not
a service to the movement, but a disservice. That is the fact that oekonux
& co can not face and why they must brand all critical voices as being
unhelpful, rude, etc, and surround themselves in a fog of insulating
fallacies that allow false beliefs to be retained dispute clear and
repeated refutation.

It is becoming more and more clear to me that oekonux is about wide-eyed
and vague boosterism and delusion and not a genuine engagement with the
facts of class struggle and the real-world challenges of building a
commons-based movement within the context of a violent rentier society.

This is quite unfortunate.