Re: Graham Seaman * Technology and Society (was: [ox-en] Conference documentation / Konferenzdokumentation)

thanks Graham, already useful,

Michel

On Feb 3, 2008 10:59 PM, graham <graham theseamans.net> wrote:

Michael Bauwens wrote:
Dear Graham,

This is a very very interesting presentation ...

I don't know why Stefan posted it now, it was my talk from the last ox
conference.

Do you have any extra background on the Lucas Plan?

It was pre-internet so as far as I know there isn't much detail
available in electronic format. The only printed book I know of is
The Lucas Plan, Allison & Busby 1982, by Hilary Wainwright & Dave
Elliott (very detailed but possibly more about the trade union side of
it than you want). Google brings up a few short articles, but I haven't
found much at a quick look.

Graham

Michel

The
Lucas
Plan
shopping
list:

1.

The
process
by
which
the
product
is
identified
and
designed
is

itself
an
important
part
of
the
total
process.

2.

The
means
by
which
it
is
produced,
used
and
repaired
should
be

non-alienating.

3.

The
nature
of
the
product
should
be
such
as
render
it
as

visible
and
understandable
as
possible
while
compatible
with
its

performance
requirements.

4.

The
product
should
be
designed
in
such
way
as
make
it

repairable.

5.

The
process
of
manufacture,
use
and
repair
should
be
such
as

conserve
energy
and
materials.

6.

The
manufacturing
process,
the
manner
in
which
the
product
is

used,
and
the
form
of
its
repair
and
final
disposal
should
be

ecologically
desireable
and
sustainable.

7.

Products
should
be
considered
for
their
long-term
characteristics

rather
than
short-term
ones.

8.

The
nature
of
the
products
and
their
means
of
production
should

be
such
as
help
and
liberate
human
beings
rather
than

constrain,
control
and
physically
or
mentally
damage
them.

9.

The
product
should
asssist
cooperation
between
people
as

producers
and
consumers,
and
between
nation
states,
rather
than

induce
primitive
competition.

10.
Simple,
safe,
robust
design
should
be
regarded
as
virtue
rather

than
complex
'brittle'
systems.

11.
The
product
and
processes
should
be
such
that
they
can
be

controlled
by
human
beings
rather
than
the
reverse.

12.
The
product
and
processes
should
be
regarded
as
important
more
in

respect
of
their
use
value
than
their
exchange
value.

13.
The
products
should
be
such
as
assist
minorities,

disadvantaged
groups,
and
those
materially
and
otherwise

deprived.

14.
Products
for
the
Third
World
which
provide
for
mutually

non-exploitative
relationships
with
the
developed
countries
are

be
advocated.

15.
Products
and
process
should
be
regarded
as
part
of
culture,
and

as
such
meet
the
cultural,
historical
and
other
requirements
of

those
who
will
build
and
use
them.

16.
In
the
manufacture
of
products,
and
in
their
use
and
repair,
one

should
be
concerned
not
merely
with
production,
but
with
the

reproduction
of
knowledge
and
competence.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: