[ox-en] surplus value for whom?

This is related to Dmytri's in my view black and white argument about the
extraction of rent.

In my earlier answer, I stressed the capture of use value in the new system
of non-reciprocal peer production.

This is more properly not about commons-based peer production, but about the
sharing economy, and shows how developments have been used to recaptue
exchange value,

see, from Mark Cooper:

"I have attached four slides from a lecture I am giving on the Digital
Revolution.  The first two deal with music, which show that singles, which
 the
industry hated, have swamped albums and that unsigned artists are selling
 more
singles than record labels. Albums still exist, but consumers and artists
 have
seized billions of dollars (consumer surplus and producer surplus) from the
clutches of the record label cartel.  The second two involve advertising
 and
streaming video.  The simple message is that online an streaming are  eating
the growth of linear media and the future lies in growth.

The lecture at Stanford is available at:

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/podcasts/20080128_CIS_Mark_Cooper.mp3

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: