Re: [ox-en] The Ideology of Free Culture and the Grammar of Sabotage

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:05:09 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Christian Siefkes
<christian siefkes.net> wrote:

Dmytri Kleiner wrote:
Further, employing the metaphor of a parasite to describe the rentier
class is ubiquitous in all tendencies of leftist writing.

If this was true, it would be a reason to leave the left once and
forever.
Mercifully, it's not true.

What are you talking about? Comparing the rentier class to a parasite is
indeed ubiquitous, you will find in anarchists texts, communists texts,
including Marx, and in liberal text as well, including Keynes, IIRC.

Sadly, there are _some_ tendencies of the
so-called left for which it is indeed true, which is a disquieting and
depressing fact all by itself and shows the decline of critical,
emancipatory thinking characteristic for some parts of the left.

What is "disquieting and depressing is that some of you are capable of
writing, and presumable believing such empty self-righteous garbage.

There is nothing "disquieting and depressing" about the parasite
metaphor, it is perfectly reasonable description of a class of people
that has withdrawn itself from production by appropriation the surplus
value of direct producers. It is ubiquitous because it is descriptive.

You, like the rest of your colleagues, are simply grasping at straws
to avoid criticizing Stefan Mn for his reprehensible behavior, which as
I have pointed out, bears far more structural resemblance for far-right
arguments than Matteo's article. Yet, unsurprisingly, none of you are
bothered by or feel the need to comment on Stefan's fascisticly
sturctured arguments. I don't expect you to be honest enough to even
ackowlege the hypocrisy, because defending your locker-room buddy from
rebuke is your only motivation, and any pretended concern about argument
structures is pure posturing.

The way several of you have rallied around Stefan and excused his vile
comments reminds my of nothing more than a gang of thugs.

The "argument" to equate people with animals -- and not just any animals,
but parasites or vermin -- is one of the core tenets (if not _the_ core
tenet) of modern anti-Semitism.

Wrong.

The core tenant of antisemitism, like all racism, is an idea of an appeal
national insecurities based upon biologically deterministic arguments.

There is nothing inherently antisemitic about the parasite metaphor, please
learn basic logic and teach yourself about controversy by extension
and guilt by association fallacies so you are able to avoid them it the
future.

In _actual_ anti-Semitism, it is Jews who are equated in this way (though
not necessarily explicitly so -- euphemistic references to "Zionists",
"people with money", or "the East Coast" might already be enough).

Man, the capacity of some of you to type nonsensical crap is astounding.

What are you talking about? Zoinism is a distinct and quite identifiable
movement, it is not a "Euphemism"

The only thing I can tell for sure, is you don't know anything about
antisemitism or racism and have never had any serious contact with
its victims.

Now, I'm quite confident that neither Matteo nor Dmytri have anything
against Jews,

Indeed, not to mention that both of us have had actual family members who
where victims of Nazi extermination and internment. While, the likes of
Stefan Mn just insult the memories of these victims by instrumentalizing
their suffering in support of his own glaring ignorance.

will be happy and we will again be able to focus on actual arguments (if
any).

This is false, from my experience on this list it is exactly these sorts of

"structural arguments or "meta critiques," which are nothing more
than fallacious avoidances, that you all hide behind to avoid discussing
actual facts. It is far easier to claim that Matteo or I are bad people
or to attempt to categorically dismiss our arguments, than to logically
engage with them, and that is exactly what most of you do.

Case in point is that, despite being a "slow writer" you have taken the
time to author this apologist, nonsensical blather pretending to know
something about antisemitism, which you plainly don't, instead of
responding to my comments about your book.

--
Dmytri Kleiner
editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net