Re: [ox-en] There is no such thing like "peer money"

Sam,

 The goal here is to help people and projects who are developing open
licensed to prosper as much as possible in existing money-driven human
ecologies. The goal is to help them to *outcompete* existing non-open
licensed traditional businesses so that many people will choose them as a
provider of services or products.

.

I try to tell people that if we focus on making something really, really
good, that people really
want, there is no way we *won't* be able to somehow match it up with
money. So, as long as you are making things that people really want, you
won't have to worry about/focus on money.

True and I absolutely agree with the goals; unfortunately, one problem is
that quality has much to do with talent and lots of (talented) people are
attracted by money (this is just the way it is and personally im not
blaming them given the society we are living in). there is a (very?)
limited number of people who are able to provide high quality works on a
sustainable basis; there is also lots of money outthere to "lure" those
people spend their creativity and time in exchange for money; closely
related, there is also lots of money available to push the creations of
those few  to people (advertising). So, its not gonna be easy outcompete
them on quality. :)

Markius,

Thanks for your reply.

One emerging thing that I am finding among talented people is that there is
an attitude that money is not the only factor, but also value. So I am
encouraged that I do see the money/talent problem starting to change.

The idea of focusing on quality is actually a strategy to attract financing
and money by first creating something solves problems really well with as
little overhead cost as possible, that also provides tremendous value to
people. Creating it as a commons then creates a wealth system that can
support numerous businesses. The commons itself is not for-profit, but many
businesses could be based off of that commons. So, this is a new startup
strategy (one that I actually introduced very successfully at
http://annarbor.startupweekend.com/ ) which is to make the startup a commons
that includes infrastructure to allow people to build many, many businesses
off of this commons. In this case, the commons was a knowledge commons we
are calling "exploded view" which will give people a place to easily
document and share the dis-assembly of "junk" or mass produced goods that
are otherwise thrown into a hole in the ground. We also will give people
easy ways to show what can be done with what they are taking apart, what it
can be re-made into. This commons could afford many, many businesses, such
as people who are taking old clothes and re-making them into new clothes,
people who are creating decorative or structural design elements for homes
out of all kinds of old junk, people who are harvesting valuable materials
from discarded materials, etc etc.