[ox-en] Gartner: Windows collapsing under its own weight

Hi!

A few months ago two Gartner analysts came up with an interesting
analysis about the future of Windows. See

	http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428
	http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/11/gartner-says-vista-will-collapse-and-thats-why-the-yahoo-deal-must-happen/
	http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9076698&pageNumber=1

for some articles.

A main point made is that Windows is to bulky, inflexible and does not
scale - especially to low hardware resources. Gnu/Linux on the other
hand is the exact opposite. It is extremely modular, usable in every
thinkable way and scales very nicely. In other words the quality of
Gnu/Linux is higher than that of Windows here.

BTW: Gartner sees a very positive future for Free Software. See

	http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39379900,00.htm
	http://www.networkworld.com/news/2[PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]-open-source-unavoidable.html

for some articles about this.

I remember that years ago I stated that the technical quality of Free
Software is higher than or proprietary software and that this is the
real reason why Free Software is on the rise - not license costs or
so. People then did not understand what I meant. I think this report
is a clear proof of what I meant then.

If you read the articles about Windows mentioned above then you will
also notice that a good part of the reason for that perceived collapse
of Windows is because of the need to earn money with Windows. In other
words: It were precicely these alienated incentives which cause
trouble to Microsoft.

Personally I see these real-world developments as a strong indication
that the Oekonux theories at least are not in contradiction to what is
really happening.