Re: [ox-en] Where is a Common Linux?

Franz Nahrada wrote:
Today I want to break out of our visionary discussions to ask a question
very rooted in todays realities.
Yay ! :-)

I see the christmas computer market boasting with new processors,
multimedia capabilities and so on - and of course still Windows Vista
everywhere.

I wonder why the Linux industry is not strong enough to support the
developers of all these useful things with the base to shift their stuff
to Linux. Maybe we need a "common linux" initiative to strengthen the
market position also on the consumer market....

I wonder how real insiders see this.

This is not an answer to your question, but hopefully an interesting data point nonetheless:

There are many more types of computers in (even ordinary people's) use than what we usually have in mind when talking about (desktop) computers: Cell-phones and other mobile devices are part of it, and many other types of computers, even less recognized, built into all kinds of things. I'm talking about the 'embedded market'. And there Linux is much stronger, as those industries seem to have recognized its virtues for a long time.

Notably, what is referred to as 'Open Architecture', i.e. the ability to keep software (which is much more expensive to produce than hardware) alive even if the hardware it is running on changes at a rather rapid pace.

FWIW,